syko

Jan 10, 2004
not sure if this has been done before but i have quite long fingers which causes me to get really bad pain in my hands and wrists and lower forearms because I have to grip so much.

So, i got some rubber sheeting. My dad works at a goodyear tyres. and cut some grip sized pieces and glued them to my grips and then wired them on. this made the grips about a quarter of an inch thicker and that meant i wasn't gripping quite as much.
that combined with using my legs to grip has pretty much got rid of any arm pump or fatigue in my hands.

just wandered if anyone else tried this or if you can get purpose made 'fat grips'?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Pro-Grip makes some larger grips that I used to use. I had the same thought you did about it making it easier for bigger hands and them absorbing vibration. I still had arm pump.

When I switched back to "normal" grips, my arm pump seemed much less. Never really tried to figure it out, but I used regular old Scott grips, now.

I do think that arm pump and fatigure are more a matter of being comfortable (or not) on the bike and relazing when you can/should.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
yeah, your probably right.
But i do think that the thicker grips did help with the pain, especially in my hands.
I used to do downhill mountainbiking and 'fat grips' were widely used and available in mountainbiking, just figured the same idea would have been used in MX.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I just duct tape my hands to the grips and then I don't have to hold on. I think that thicker grips would help alot and that is why Renthal has full waffle grips. But if your hands are big a bigger grip is in order. I have not seen any in Europe, although there are alot of those custom molded grips and Pro-grip does produce some like Gomer said.

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
fat grips

I too, suffer from the larger hand malady. I have found that the old style Pro Grip is the way to go, the Model 737 Enduro to be exact. I have used that grip for almost 10 years now and sometimes it helps and sometimes I still exit the track looking like Popeye after he pounds a can of spinach...but they do take out some of the vibration I believe. Nothing beats consistant training. I'm sure you have heard all the old ones too like don't hang on so hard, relax in the air, squeeze with your legs, and breathe more. They can help too. Good luck..

Top Bottom