Fattest most aggressive rear tire for 250?

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I'm not sure what size tire I have now but it seems small compared to some other 250's i see out. Whats the largest most aggressive rear tire i can put on my YZ250 for mixed terrain? Mud,sand,rocky roads,lose and packed dirt...

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Stick with the stock size (110x19) If you go wider (120) on the stock rim, it pinches the tire too narrow at the bead and will cause the tire to baloon up at the center of the tread........actually putting less rubber on the ground, and losing traction. If you insist on a wider tire, install a wider rim too.

mifun3

Dec 18, 2005
I installed a 120 Maxxis IT on my KX250 lately, it's a monster !!! True it does ballon a bit like 2-Strokes 4-ever said but the traction in loose and mud is incrediable. For gravel or hard pack a 110 would probably be better.

L8R

Mike

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Stick with the stock size (110x19) If you go wider (120) on the stock rim, it pinches the tire too narrow at the bead and will cause the tire to baloon up at the center of the tread........actually putting less rubber on the ground, and losing traction. If you insist on a wider tire, install a wider rim too.

Thats pretty much all i needed to hear. I just need a new rear tire so want to get the most aggressive one available for mixed terrain type riding. The size is fine by me.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Did you look at the video of those tires? They have the deepest lugs of any tire I've seen yet. I had one in the late 70's and it was the bomb for sand trails.

Dale

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
I tried a 120 but went back to the 110. Just get the correct tire for the terrain your riding on and stay with the 110. It handles better and is lighter.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I just put a brand new maxxis c6001 to the full test this past weekend riding tons of mud, losse dirt/sand, hard pack, loom, rocks and whatever else you can think of and it came out awesome. Hooked up great in almost all conditions, a little squirly on hard pack but nothing serious. I had a dunlop 739 or something like that on it before this and road the same place and had all sorts of problems with control. The maxxis is a little heavier than other tires but man i dont think i will switch to anything else. It got a little worn but from what i put it through its nothing. Also the 110/90/19 i got seemed to be a little skinnier than my 110/90/19 dunlop but i had no problems at all with it. I reccommend it.

Top Bottom