whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Joe, the fat engine will run hot. Carbon build up, will run hotter. The seat of pants jetting is fine. You defined the main jet, what about the others? Somewhere you are pretty rich, maybe them stinking valves! No one has made mention if these filters effect carb flow? Are they serviceable, or throw away? It seems to me that we got sold on some sort of check valves that went on the end of the carb hoses before.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Joe, the fat engine will run hot. Carbon build up, will run hotter. The seat of pants jetting is fine. You defined the main jet, what about the others? Somewhere you are pretty rich, maybe them stinking valves! No one has made mention if these filters effect carb flow? Are they serviceable, or throw away? It seems to me that we got sold on some sort of check valves that went on the end of the carb hoses before.

The carb filter I posted the link to is serviceable, and by the looks of the design shouldn't affect flow.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Joe, the fat engine will run hot.

When an engine is rich the combustion chamber temps are lower. The extra fuel tends to provide a cooling effect that isn't necessary or desirable on a water-cooled four-stroke. Sometimes the exhaust gas gas temps will be higher with a rich mixture so this gets mistaken for an increase in engine running temp. It's just a sign of inefficient, and late combustion. :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
_JOE_ said:
89'er, I just rip it around the woods and play in some gravel pits and a little mx here and there. I don't wring it out alot. I'm probly average to a little below average speed. It has alot more bottom end now with the high comp piston so I try to take advantage of that and keep it in the midrange as much as possible. Hopefully this will help prolong the life. I've gotten pretty proficient with checking the clearances so I don't have a problem doin it every few hours. It only takes about 20 minutes. So far so good after almost two hours. :

In that case you should be good to go for awhile. Just keep checking them the way you are and if the clearances start to move faster than normal, replace them.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
WFFR, I set the pilot so that it starts easily cold with the choke on and fuel screw between 1 and 2 turns. As far as the needle I just set it where the info that came with the JD kit said to put it. I haven't tinkered with it as it's a pain to get to. It runs crisp, revs quickly and doesn't smoke. The filters I am going to try are serviceable. They come apart and house a small screen element which I will be replacing with small pieces of foam air filter material. I guess we'll have to try it and see if it effects the carburetion.

89er, that's what I was thinkin'. Maybe I'll stop and play the lotto tonight. ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some carbs I have ever serviced had an accumulation of dirt on top of the slide. Not all of them though. I recall a quad, the air filter was deteriorated and sucked massive amounts of sand, but none on top of the slide. Usually a zip tie on the boot, atop the cable adjustment seemingly took care of it. Unless it washed into the engine? How scored is the slide?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just had it all torn apart lookin for dirt and everywhere other than under the top cap was spotless. It still looks new.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Here's what I ended up doin.......

Attachments

• 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 116

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Looks great, now find some nice silt or dried up swamp to ride in. Did you put the JD o-ring on the ap adjuster? He did not send you the red and blue needles, or the leak jets?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Maybe saturday, weather depending. I do run the fat o-ring on the ap, the red needle, and I can't remember getting any leak jets with the kit, but I did swap the stock 55 for a 70. I'm gonna try raisng the clip a couple grooves and see how it runs on the needle.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I believe the 70 is what we were running. I think its ready that offers a completely different ap adjuster that eliminates the need for the o-ring. And they wear out quickly. I could not believe the difference in the 2 o-rings.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
what about running the carb vent lines to a cleaner place?... like under the fuel tank or seat?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I prefer to be sure there's no dirt comin in. I would bet running them up would reduce the amount coming in though. The filters seem to have no effect on the bikes performance, so I'm gonna run them for a while and see how they work.

Top Bottom