taloolamx

Oct 3, 2006
Just broke in my new YZ250F, and I'm checking the valve clearances. I can't get my feeler gauge into the middle intake valve, because of the bracket that holds the camshaft. There is a slot that goes through through the bracket and to the middle cam lobe and valve bucket, but my gauge is too wide to fit through it and as far as I know there aren't "narrow" gauges you can buy. So do I just check the outer two intake valves and assume the middle is about the same, or do I take off the bracket that holds the camshaft down? If I take off the bracket I'll get a false reading won't I? Thanks for any help and info.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
taloolamx said:
So do I just check the outer two intake valves and assume the middle is about the same, or do I take off the bracket that holds the camshaft down? If I take off the bracket I'll get a false reading won't I? QUOTE]

While you are waiting for the feeler gauges that Rich suggested, you could grind your current wide feeler gauges down to fit. Use a very fine grinding wheel and carefully grind the edges. After you grind the edges, de-burr them since they will have a little burr on the edge. Just round the edges so they are smooth. BE VERY CAREFUL when grinding them since they are like little razor blades and if you slip you could cut yourself. Also, don't let them get too hot while grinding.

When adjusting your valves, never assume one of them is ok. You have to check all of them. If you remove the bracket, (top cam journal) you will get a false reading.

sgcrosley

Mar 6, 2007
Richter!!!

hey richter what up skittles!
man so u got a new bike? nice.
message me bro. i wanna catch up.
sayhitoaust(a)hotmail,com

drop me a line

taloolamx

Oct 3, 2006
Crosley, what up man?! You been riding? Bro, I'm coming back to Australia in a couple of months. Email me back and we'll talk.

Top Bottom