XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
We did that poker run on Sunday (read about it here), and we got some news from the doc last night.  Seems Pred2 has what's termed a "buckle fracture" (which is more of a bend than a break -- I'm sure Doc Neph can explain it better than me) and he has to get a cast today.  :whiner: Now, 3-4 weeks without riding for him.

Now I feel like the worst dad ever, since I made him ride another 20 miles with said broken arm.  I was also pretty tough on him when he went down, making him get right back on the bike until we could get to a better spot to take care of it.  I'm sure I look like assholio supremo to all those that were riding with us as I was telling Pred2 to toughen up and get back on the bike.  Now I'm worried that I may have caused him more damage, maybe even permanent since the fracture could be close to a growth plate. :|

Momma told me not to worry about it, but I can tell she lays a little bit of blame on me.  She tells me she doesn't, and says I should let it go.  I dunno, I guess I just need to vent.  As of now, I just feel like **** about it.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I think every Dad does that atleast once when raising a child. My Dad told me to suck it up and keep playing one time when I played football as a kid. Went to the E-room the next day and found out I had a slight tear in my achilles(sp) tendon. Could barely walk let alone try and play football. Don't worry, I am sure your son will realize that you didn't mean any harm and feel bad enough for what happened. I know my Dad did and I forgave him since he didn't really know how serious it was.

Last edited:

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I'm sure all of us with kids feel the same way. I know I've had my kids tell me they were sick and I told them to suck it up and get your butt to school only to have the nurse call because my kid puked all over. This is bit more serious but on the same vien. I wouldn't think going the extra miles hurt as it was not a fracture. Got to give the kid a :thumb: for sucking it up. Give yourself a break, kids heal fast.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Pred don't worry about it. My mother is a nurse, and she didn't believe me when I told her my arm hurt when I was a kid. She even said, " If it hurst that bad, you can't go to soccer practice." So I went to soccer practice, fell on it a couple of times. I was still complaining about it that night, so we went to get it checked out. Sure enough it was broken.
Point being, If a registered Nurse can't spot a broken limb on her own kid, how can you expect yourself to know?
Chin up buckaroo! Besides, this might be a fine oportunity to install one of those arm hooks I've been hearing so much about ;)

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Its not like the bone was popped through the skin. My boy seems to cry wolf alot. Its always a judgement call. Dont let this get you down.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Pred, I think only fathers of children this age, like you, me and many others on this board can understand the pain and torment you're feeling right now. Been there a few times....I usually go 'moaning' back to him pleading for forgiveness, and he usually says "for what?" ;) Kids forget stuff like this very quickly, and for some reason, their spirits are very resilient to this type of deal, whereas they seem to remember the good stuff for a long time.

Hey, getting him back on the bike and making him ride it out was the RIGHT thing to do. What else could you have done? Called in a copter? :laugh: Wouldn't have made a difference.

Fractures of the bending nature only occur in children, and are nothing to worry about. It will likely heal with no residual. If the bone growth plate has been disrupted by a fracture, it depends on which bone, and where it's been disrupted. For instance, radial head Salter I fractures require little more than external fixation, while Humoral capitellar Salter III's require open reduction, internal fixation (screws). More than likely, if they're just casting it, rather than operating, it'll be ok.

Cheer up big fella! :thumb:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Hey bud we have all been there. My son has broken lots of bones (mostly on a BMX bike). He is a real trooper with the pain and it's is always hard to tell how bad it really is. I made him ride back to the truck once with a broken foot. When we got to the truck and pulled off his boot the foot swelled up like a balloon:eek:

Now he's old enough to know if it's broken. He crashed on a double a few years ago and broke his shoulder blade. He walked up to me a said "Dad, it's broken. Trust me." Sure enough it was broken and dislocated!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I gotta agree with Neph on this one, expecially the part about the humorous caterpillar salt thingamajig :worship: I actually always thought it was funny to put salt on slugs myself though. To each his own I guess.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery for both of ya :thumb:

Is it "group huge" time? :scream:

If I had a youngin, I'd trust him in your care anyday Pred!

Last edited:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Don't worry Pred, he's young, he'll heal. You should feel proud he rode back - let him know that too.

Hope the catapillar recovers.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Pred
thekid has had a couple buckle fractures in the past and they didn't set him back at all except for the cast. Actually one of them was last winter and when the cast came off he had a noticable bend in the arm. The Dr made sure we knew it would grow straight again. Last month when he went in for the final checkup the Dr couldn't believe how much his arm had grown and pointed out a perfectly straight forearm. Kids that age heal fast and no damage done.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Suck it up Pred! :laugh: Just kidding I have done the same and been ashamed after. I also usually crawl back and apologize only to have him say "no big deal". Then we go to the store and buy him something cool. I wouldn't worry about it too much just call it a learning experience. Get wells to both of You. :thumb:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Been there big guy! So has my dad and my grandfather. "Just rub some dirt on it!" was pretty common when I was little and in any stage of injury. My kid can't remember half the times he was hurt and I told him to suck it up only find out there was a larger problem. Story time.......

A few weeks ago 989 was next door (OK so next door is like 1/3 of a mile away but...) he comes home at dark and goes up stairs for a few hours and plays, watches TV and stuff. Mom hollers up for him to get a shower which he does. He comes down stairs about 10:30pm ready for bed. We start discussion the schedule for the next day and how there was a board breaking at TKD so he would need to have his gear ready. He starts to mutter something and then points at his heal. :scream: Pretty major damage there! We asked what the heck happened. It seems the neighbor kid decided to throw rocks and one caught him on the heal laying it wide open! You could see the tendon move when he moved his foot!!! He said he had just gotten a paper towel and held it there until it quit then they played some more until he came home. We load him up and go to the E room and get it cleaned and sewn up (never a peep just a few tears when he was getting the injection). After that we explained how important it was for him to tell us when he is injured. We basically came to the agreement that if it makes you cry you better tell about it.

This made me think maybe I had caused him to be afraid to tell me about his injury by things I'd done in the past. So we talked about that and he said nope there was just a really good movie on and it didn't hurt too bad after a few minutes. :silly:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Its a tough call to know when to take them to E room. If everything seemed to function O.K. I would have done the same thing.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Two of the bones in my right foot have an 'S' bend in them. When I was 14, I mangled my foot on my father's Kawi 350 Bighorn, and he never even considered taking me to a hospital. There were no flesh wounds, but my foot swelled up to twice its normal size, and I couldn't touch it without feeling intense pain.

My mother found out a month later and went ballistic. She took me to the local doc, and he put a knee-high cast on it. I still rode with the cast on, and by the time the doc cut it off, it was useless. There have been no major repercussions from the incident.

Don't sweat it man.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Hey Big Guy,

I don't have any rug rats of my own but I sure gave my folks plenty of scares. Hmmm, Summer Vacation just starting fliped the BMX ended up with a 2" piece of slate under the scalp, angle was just right or no more Irish. PK mentioned a similar incident with myself, 5 years old, hyped up on sugar and running around the NE form of Sams Club at the time, fell off a pallet onto my right side. All I knew was it hurt, Mom thought I was fibbing so on I went for 6 hours with both bones in my right forarm busted about 2 1/2" above the wrist. There are many more I could list but aside from cockroaches little ones are the most resiliant life forms on Earth. ;)

Pred2 sounds just a tough as his sire, as someone mentioned it won't even be a memory, more like a great story to tell his friends. The distance he rode will grow in time like some of our fishing stories. :)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Most parents who are worth anything have been there before. Encouraging your kid is part of being a good parent. When I broke my arm at a race in Louisiana we went to the hospital, the first thing my wife tells the receptionist is "If this is going to take long we're leaving, he can wait till we get back to Kansas' :eek: If it'd been one of the kids I guarantee she'd been happy to wait. :ugg:

Cheer up and don't worry about it. He'll proudly tell the story for years to come how he rode with a broke arm. :)

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Is the bike OK?
J/K I couldnt pass on that one.
My daughters first day on a jr50 ended in the ER, 8 stitches in the chin. I felt it was all my fault, boy did I feel bad. Mom thought it was all my fault too, which didnt help at all. My daughter just wanted to know if she could ride when we got home from the ER. All turned out just fine.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
thanks all. Feelin' better today. He picked the Yamaha Blue cast to match his TTR90, and whispered to the doc to make it so he could still grip his handlebars, much to his mother's chagrin :) He also wants to deck it out with some moto stickers we got laying around.

again, thanks all :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by oldguy
My dads theory when I was growing up was "If it isn't bleeding profusely or something isn't sticking out you really aren't hurt" Sometimes I wonder how I survived

Hey I just use that one this weekend. Josh my #1 son 17yrs old had his first real trail ride on the XR280, tall bike short kid! This trail was one of the tougher ones. It was a club ride so I left my maps in the truck, "Just had to follow the arrows" 7 miles into the trail JR had already had a few too many tip-overs, and wanted to bail. I said OK, we just have to catch up with Aaron first "#2 son 17 yr. old" (twin's) well to make long store short Aaron final stopped @ the 20 mile mark and waited for us. So I had no idea where we were? And figured a sweeper would catch us and point us to a short cut back to camp. Never happened so josh rode the whole 50-mile loop. Josh whined the whole way! But when he got back to town you should had heard the bench racing storis with his buddies!

Last edited:

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Last summer my boys ran an arenacross race at one of the local fairgrounds during intermission of a Monster Truck show. My son did the first Moto and told Dad how badly he wanted to try a double out on the track. Dad told him over and over he wasn't ready for that big of a jump. Well... last lap of the last Moto he tried it. He didn't make it. I didn't see the accident but everyone tells me it was a good thing I didn't. All I saw was my husband and two other guys running over to my son. he gets up and tells Dad his back hurts. Dad makes him get back on the bike and finish the race. I met him in the pits, tears streaming down his face. He broke his collarbone. He said he was too afraid to let Dad know how bad he was really hurt because he knew too late he wasn't ready for that jump. Dad really was bummed for a few days for making him ride out the race....

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Dude, sorry I'm behind on this, hope the lil one is doing better even though it was your fault! j/k Hope all is well and don't worry, we all do that.;)

Top Bottom