SATxMotoX

Sponsoring Member
Feb 6, 2001
I'm fairly new to MX'ing and getting more addicted everyday! :p I'm having a problem that's a little disconcerting...

I'm starting to hit some of the bigger jumps (for me) and I'm having a big problem with my feet flying off the pegs while I'm in the air. I'm hitting 20-30' tables and smaller doubles, usually between 2-3 gear WFO when it happens. Smaller jumps I'm ok on, it's just the bigger ones.

Is this a technique problem, or is it likely related to suspension setup? I'm also experiencing alot of nose diving on the bigger jumps. I try to keep the throttle on all the way through the jump, have my body in the "(novice) attack" position, head over the bars, etc. but it's still the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
It could be a suspension problem if you are compressing it too far as you hit the face, which would kick you higher in the air.

However I used to have the same problem and could not figure out why--I had a couple embarrassing moments as I would try frantically to get my feet back on the pegs before I landed and landed on the rear brake pedal or shifter.

GRIP THE TANK HARD WITH YOUR KNEES. This is what I was forgetting to do--as I launched, I would release my grip on the tank without knowing it. But if I concentrate on keeping my knees in tight to the tank, my feet stay where they're supposed to. No more problem.

As for your nose diving problem, even though you're on the gas, try blipping the throttle a bit as you leave the lip of the jump. This will keep your front end higher as you sail. You can also rev in the air to raise the front if you're airborne long enough. Similarly, if you are flying through the air and feel too nose-high, you can hit the rear brake to drop it (pull the clutch in so you don't kill the motor--that's bad news in mid air!). I have never tried these technniques as I am seldom airborne long enough to think about it and when I am, all I can think about is "OMG I'm going to die!" But blipping the throttle as you launch and revving in the air should help you land easier.

Give it a try!

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
It's funny that you post this topic - back in '98 (the first year I rode/raced) when I first started doing doubles - my right foot (I think it was the right) used to fly off of the peg in the air. Sometimes both feet would, too. I couldn't really control it at the time - it just happened! :confused:

I don't really know what I did to fix the problem - just kept jumping (lots and lots) and eventually it went away - by the beginning of '99. Gripping the bike with your knees and feet should help some. But mostly - I think it just takes time. Practice, practice, practice!! Now I can do 8 laps around our practice track (about 20 doubles and table top doubles per lap) and no more flying feet problems!! :)

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I actually bring my feet off the pegs on purpose. I have an XR100R, and for the most part, I bring my feet off and grip on the frame. I find I get more control and can move the bike around easier in the air. Also, I can start to turn in the air to set up for corners.

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
I get this but thats because I'm really crap at riding off road. As soon as I get 'air' - to be measured in inches rather than tens of feet - the bike decides to return to earth without me.

Only one broken rib so far, but i'll get there, one day.

SATxMotoX

Sponsoring Member
Feb 6, 2001
Thanks

Thanks to you all for replying. I paid more attention to my body position prior to takeoff, concentrated on gripping the seat/tank with my knees, adjusted the suspension (stiffened it up some) and practiced. Somewhere in the middle of all that (most likely a combo of all) I found the combination needed to keep from going "0 G" on my bike! Thanks again...

Now I just have to let the collarbone I busted up yesterday heal (luckily didn't break, just bruised up pretty good). I locked up the rear on a high berm and was not able to get the front pointed where I needed to go so over the 6ft tall berm I went. I'm sure I looked like a goon...:scream:

Adios.

Top Bottom