Ferrari. What's up with this picture??

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
What is the deal with this picture? I got it off F1-Live.com of Michael Schumachers Ferrari. Red tires?

Attachments

• ferrari-silverstone_110704_220x151.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 175

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Those may be tire warmers to heat the tires up so they can cut hot laps right from the start

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
I don't think so, they look like tires.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
They wouldn't stay red for very long would they?

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
through the magic of enlargement, it looks like the passenger side tire is black in color. I'd bet some vCash it's a tire warmer on the drivers side tire. :debil:

this looks like our boy in action

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Those are the cinamon flavored tire condoms. They keep the tire from picking up dirt on it's way to the virgin clean track.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
whyzee said:
through the magic of enlargement, it looks like the passenger side tire is black in color. I'd bet some vCash it's a tire warmer on the drivers side tire. :debil:

this looks like our boy in action
I got the shot off of F1-Live.com
I really dont think it is a tire warmer because it is shiny, has grooves in it, and it says Potenza on it. Tire warmers are usually navy blue or black and have a nylon fabric on the very outside. I have been watching Formula 1 for over 16 years and have never seen a tire warmer like that.....

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've seen sportbike tires available in all sorts of colors. Nothing new there. Might have been for a special photo shoot or something.

Way back when in the old days tires were white. I think that's the natural color of rubber. They were colored black for aesthetic reasons only.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
gwcrim said:
...They were colored black for aesthetic reasons only...

Maybe aesthetics play a role but the original reason that tires changed from natural white to black was that they added carbon as a bonding agent to the rubber. If made solely out of pure caoutchouc the tire would crumble like an eraser.
Meanwhile they use some synthetics instead of carbon and tires in nearly any color aren't a problem to make. Michelin tried it but didn't have great success. Maybe people are kind of conservative and so tires have to be black to be accepted as "real" tires.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
(whyzee)
it looks like the passenger side tire is black in color. I'd bet some vCash it's a tire warmer on the drivers side tire. (whyzee)

I don't think they need air tools to change tire warmers, (in front of tire) maybe they just put the one on for now toget a look see/picture?? :clue:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I had to laugh on the passenger side comment too! With all the telemetry in F1, the passenger is in the pits watching a computer screen.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
check it out...here's a bike with orange tires, and they stay orange when you ride it! They are actually retreads but I hear they work well.

That's me giving chase on my very inferior 2 stroke mx bike with black tires...

Attachments

• bikewithorangetires.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 56

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Tirs that aren't black just seem......wrong

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Taking a SWAG at this. (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) I would say they are trying to measure tire deflection and scrub. As the car travels around the track the tire will bend and twist as force is applied. When they get backto the pits with the red tire it would be more noticeable exactly how much tire had been in contact with the asphalt. However, it would seem resonable to use a white tire instead of red as the asphalt marks would show up better I would think. Then again this is nothing more than a SWAG.

One thing that I think I can say with some certainty is you guys are right. That's a red tire.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks for the picture Frank...

I still am wondering why they have a red tire...... Promotional tool?

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
This article CLICK says the red tires were a special made edition to promote a wellfare organization named "Sport Relief". This organization supports sport-related projects in the third world and they have gathered money by organizing some kind of marathon run in Britain. As a sign that they support Sport Relief people were wearing a single red sock during the run.
That's why the Bridgestone eqipped F1 cars all had a single red tire, too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…