jpmanguy

Jun 29, 2008
hey guys i got a few questions about my 97 kdx 200. it is street legal and plated in MN i bought it last summer from a guy in minneapolis. anyways, i got the stock wheels on it right now and i got some cheaper dual sport tires on it that are 80/20 onroad/offroad. i dont think its the tires but when i get up past about 40 it starts to have a shake to it and gets really bad when going 55 or more. i dont know what it is but i was thinking something with the wheel but i dont know how to tell. so what could that be?

also, i got the stock front sprocket on right now and the rear is a 43 tooth and i mainly do street riding, where is a good place for sprockets? i used to have a place that i could get a 40 tooth (which is the one i want) but i cant remember where i found that. so im looking for a reasonably priced 39,40, or 41 tooth rear sprocket to put on.

last, i want a more supermoto look and feel to it and i feel like it sits too high for my liking. can i lace a rear wheel up to the front hub and run it? also i was thinking a lowering link on the rear and put the front forks higher into the triple tree.

i love my kdx on the streets but i just want to make it set good for my liking and those are the few main issues. i am also thinking the eric gorr big bore kit later this year for that extra oomph.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
jpmanguy said:
when i get up past about 40 it starts to have a shake to it and gets really bad when going 55 or more.
Probably is the tire. That and the rimlock. I have a KLX300 that took 7 ounces of weight on the rear wheel to keep it from bouncing. :ohmy: Take the wheel to somebody with a computer spin balancer, and while you are at it, make sure that the rim doesn't need to be retrued too. Check your front stem bearings for any notchiness in the triple tree movement as you push the bars from lock to lock. Make sure that they are tight enough to not have any freeplay or clicking if you grab the front forks and and push back and forth on them. Check your wheel bearings. Just go right down the list, till you get it fixed.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
You say it shakes, what shakes? The handlebars from side to side, the wheels, the whole bike? Also if you want to supermoto a bike I can think of more suited bikes to do that to. The KDX is pretty slow for the road, no?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I agree with Joburble, a KDX is not an ideal supermoto bike. If you ride 80% road, I would be looking at a WR, CRF***X, KTM EXC, etc. A KDX does its best work in the woods, not on the road.

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
I know its very basic, but to start, make sure your rear axle blocks are the exact same distance from the swingarm. if not, youl be wobbling all the way home

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Kx85Krazy said:
I know its very basic, but to start, make sure your rear axle blocks are the exact same distance from the swingarm. if not, youl be wobbling all the way home

(snail adjusters)

I envy the plated kdx..and wow a 40 tooth rear!!

balancing is good practice :cool: also some off road tires seem to cause the head shake more than others

Top Bottom