cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
Im sooo sick of people older than me thinking they are on some kind of pedistole(sp?). Pushing people smaller in size than them around. This kid i use to be friends w/ is looking for anything he can to say he is going to fight me. Its really annoying. I want to learn to kick box. Id like to increase my punch. Im not asking this to become any kind of bully or anything. Just to be able to defend my self and others. I belong to a gym and lift often so i figure it helps. Would a punching bag help much? I know others here have been in a situation somewhat like this. Any advice? Thanks, Brian

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Yeah, turn the other cheek because a fight never ends. I don't doubt that you can win the battle, but the war will go on forever. I speak from PLENTY of experience.
'TAZ'

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
If you really think you need self defence....note not fightin.......go to a boxing gym. Learn the basics of the art. Punching a bag in a garage is one thing but there is a skill to it and its best to be taught. Despite all the other fandango fighting arts around...generally he who knows his boxing will stand in good stead. Lifting weights will do nothing for punching power, correct technique and timing is the key. Leg squats is one form of weights that can help power but nothing is better than learning proper technique. Also it'll get you very fit.

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Alright first off fighting never solves anything and usually makes it worse. But if your goin to fight heres some stuff I've learnt the hard way. Never hit the other guy in the head like the forehead with a closed fist hands do break use your forearm and use that. And whatever you've heard about fighting throw it out the door fighting is not fair don't be scared to go for the nads. And off the top of my head the # 1 rule is never throw the first punch you never know the guy might get cops involved I know and i'm only 18 but when your big like me people will want to fight and sometimes you can't get out of it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The fighting won't solve it's been covered, and it's the best advice. If your looking for self defence then your going to be better served by a martial art since your smaller because you'll be using your legs and body weight more. The reason this is important is because your legs are stronger and longer than most peoples arms and it's more efficient to put your body weight into a blow from your leg which is less prone to getting damaged as opposed to your small bones in your hand and wrist. Look in to whatever form interests you not one you think is going to do it.

Things that will work in the mean time.
-Fold your fingers over at the middle knuckle (not a fist) then a sharp jab under the ribs is an attention getter.
-A quick kick across the kneecap will pretty much slow down any sized attacker.
-Take your finger and feel behind your jaw near your ear, once you find the general location you'll know. A sharp blow with the folded fingers again will work on most people but not all.
-Pretty much any joint lock is going to give you control. Finger, hand, elbow nobody want's a broken bone.

I think you should first ask this person why they feel the need to fight somebody smaller than them as proving how tough they are should really take place on a same size or larger punching bag.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
IMO any fight that I was in during HS years either happened or it didn't. There was no "I am going to fight you" or "Just wait till I kick your butt". So long as you don't provoke the situation, I wouldn't worry about a thing. I am sure the guy is talking all kinds of smack to you. The thing is, if he wanted to fight he would have by now. I've got a good hunch he's telling you he wants to fight just to give himself an ego boost. As long as you keep reminding him that you don't want to fight when he approaches then I highly doubt he'll try anything. In case I am wrong though, go for the jewels as someone else mentioned. :thumb:

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
i agree with all of you. I know fighting wont solve anything but this guy is nuts, like someone can tell him something and he just goes off. Im pretty sure he has more mental problems than he will admit(the way he cant control himself, n all his drug addictions). All im really looking to do not get my ass beat lol.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Just try and avoid this A-hole. When that doesn't work, ask him if he'd like to spend the night in a jail cell. Tell him that you aren't going to fight him and if he hits you you'll call the cops. If you're holding a baseball bat at that time, it won't hurt either!

Jake T

Mar 23, 2000
If you're looking into martial arts I'd check out Brazilian Jujitsu (sp?)
From all the people I've talked to they say out of all the forms they studied
jujitsu is what they always fall back on in a fight.

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
If you're gonna go ahead and knuckle him here's a few facts to remember:

1) If you get training of any type dont let this information out
2) If you train, fight him, and win....He can press charges regardless of who started it
3) If he does press charges and the police find out you have formal training.....you are in deep sheit my friend.

So, like those above who have spoken the wise words......Out smart him with your brain and dont play his game.

Plan B: If the guy is a total numb skull and still cant take a hint, take the challenge into the ring at the boxing gym you decided to train at 6 weeks before the fight. This way you arent exactly responsible for crushin his nose and sendin his teeth down his throat.;)

This advise comes from someone who spent way to much time with his knuckles curled in HS.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Firstly, avoid the fight. Fighting is GAY, and should be reserved to decebrate degenerates that didn't get 'nuf lovin' from their momma. :whiner: This guy's also a druggie, and could come at you with a PCP load that you don't want to deal with, not to mention the drug-stupored decision to likely pack heat.

On the other hand, when you're being pushed and pushed and pushed...only you will know whether you'll have the patience to avoid the fight.

And as far as all of the statements above dealing with best option for training--Wrestling is where it's at. When you can get someone down in a 1/2 second with a hip throw or single leg....they're screwed. Then the bloody mess ensues as they try to get up, but you've got them hip pinned and are making minced meat of their face. Give me your best black belt, and I've got a few friends around here that will kill them inside 8 seconds.

A family lives in this area that raised each other from birth, and the boys all disciplined themselves HARD. By highschool, they were all 4 x state champs, then went college, and world. To this day, I've never even seen a close fight between any of these guys and outsides. It's usually a fight that lasts 8 or so seconds, quick, no dicking around, call the ambulance. Oh, and size doesn't matter. Sean is my size, and I saw him put a 350 pounder through a tree, and into a 6 week hospital stay, for saying Sean was small, and living off the laurels of his brothers. A blackbelt outside a bar in a collegetown was swinging all his quick kicks around, and such, and Wayne (Sean's brother) and I were walking by. Wayne just walked into a kick (on purpose), and I was laughing. The guy got pissed and started to say something like 'I'm the best blackbe.(while trying to make a kick)...CRACK---last thing he said all night. Blood everywhere. The guy was out cold, and I'm sure his C-Spine was strained, because it snapped back audibly. His teeth were everywhere except in his mouth.

There's good ones, and bad ones, but that guy was a jerk and deserved it. IMO, it's not a very effective fighting mechanism, esp. when paired up with a farmboy that was once wrestled in China.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I will have to agree with nephron on this one.

A good wrestler will kick just about any black belt @ss any day, unless they are a black belt in jui-jitsu, or another grappling art. Then you basiclly have to wrestlers going at it.

I will also say a good trained figter of any style has a good chance of beating an untrained figter.

Also a good big fighter will also beat a good small figter of equal techniqe, so size does matter.

In conclussion learn the basics of wrestling, submissions, and punches and kicks and stay in good shape and you should be able to defend your self quite well.

Another thing 90% of people are just talk and want do anything, this guy sounds like a classic example. If he confronts you agian you have two choices one call his bluff or two blow him off. I would personally would call his bluff.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Here's something to consider-It's good to know how to defend yourself.With this in mine you might look into martial arts.You want to find an instructor that understands thedeeper meanings of defense.Also check into what sort of martial Art you can have fun training in,Kajukembo,Karate,Kung Fu.The thing is that you will learn or should learn humility and confidence that you don't need to fight to prove something to anyone,not even your self.The bottom line is that in this world or on the street if one guypushes you around then they'll line up to do the same.With Martial Arts you should learn you don't have to really hurt someone you just let them know your not a pushover.With this knowledge behind you you won't need to be drawn into other peoples game they want to run on you.You'll be in control,not your ego.Check it out

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
if you do get in a fight with him, chances are, you wont get hurt that bad anyway,,watch out for for his right hand punch (80% of punches thrown)..and hit him in nose over and over, and kick in nads. and watch out for his friend to jump in.

yes, a heavy bag will help ALOT considering you are using good form on it. (recommend a 32 pound water bag thats slightly bigger than a basket ball and some real gloves)

weights will help you hit harder longer (says holyfield). ringside sells a rubber band that you stretch around your back and hold in your hands while practicing punching, i use two at once and it helped alot on power. dont stop lifting weights, there is a reason why people dont pick on big people. if it wasnt for muscle, you wouldnt be able to lift your arms and two of the fastest boxers i ever saw looked like body builders, but they do alot of heavybag im sure. who would you rather fight, mike tyson look alike or erkle?

It would be good if you could take karate, and some ground fighting is great to know. I think you will have fun taking it, and its very good if you can find someone to spar and work self defense on weekends.
But if you do fight him after being trained and muscled up, make sure you can show it was self defense instead of "whooping the bully cause you felt like it". and always lay down and act like you lost the fight when the cops come up.
next time he approaches you and says something, ask him if he's got 380 dollars, then call police and him charged with domestic violence since he approached you with intend to harm and has been stalking you. (380 bux to get out of jail that next day) If you do hit him first, just say he made the threat (assault) and then he moved aggresively toward you and started to hit, bhut you beat him to the punch.

HOw old are you anyway? if this is at school, talk to your school consular so they will k now what's going on, and they may can put a stop to it. let us know how it turns out.

Gopher

Jul 27, 1999
This is more of a story than any good advise but this thread reminded me of a fight in highschool.
I moved from LA to Kansas while I was in highschool. The students in the very much much smaller town my parents moved us to in Kansas were really big into the whole upper classmen picking on the lower classmen thing etc. I wasn't used to this, never saw it in the highschool I went to in LA and thought the whole Idea was pretty countryfied and dumb but anyways,
Soon after I transfered to this highschool another kid my age also transferred into the school. He was a kinda nerdy looking and real skinny and never said anything.. There was this huge, cornfed, farmboy dude who was on the football team and a real bully. Every time he walked past the kid he would knock his books out of his hands, pick on him at every chance he would get. He really got treated like dirt by this bully. And of course this guy had a group of friends around him always laughing at the cruel things he did to this kid. One day after about a month or so it was too much for the poor kid to take and after being picked on in the hall at his locker (which was next to mine) he confronted him and told him to back off. The bully basically told him to try and stop him called him some names etc. Well, the kid took him down and beat the living crap out of him in front of all his friends and everyone in the hall watching in
total amazement. They took him to the hospital and it was a few days before he returned to school. I think they both got suspended for a while but that kid never got picked on again. I wish I could remember their names. Turned out he was a state champion wrestler his freshman year in highschool in his previous school. Who knew?

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i have an idea, if you sit by the bully, leave a pack of that gum that turns your teeth black on your desk, and then get up to sharpen your pencil, knowing the bully will steal some gum...

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I agree that wresteling is the way to go, I wrestled a bit when I was fairly young, 6-9 years old and then got back into it in 8th and 9th grade before I got a job to pay for my dirt bikes :). The great thing about wresteling is its free, you just signe up for it at school and they train you, your in great shape and every one in your school knows your a trained fighter. The fact that every one KNEW I was a wrestler just totally kept people from messing with me that I know would have becuase they used to talk poop to me before they knew I was a wrestler. In those days I was sprouting and I was maybe 5-10 and at the begining of the season I was wresteling in the 125lb class and by the end of the next season I was kicking butt in the 155 class. The fact that I was a decent wrestler though was much less important that I was a wrestler, even the foot ball guys dont want a piece of you without pads and a helmet on :).
Every fight that I was in ended up in a wrestling match because thats where I wanted it. I could anticipate the oppnents moves by watching his waist, and when he threw his 3 punches and relized he could not hit me now what will I do? I went for the controlled take down and submission hold and told him I wont let you up untill you promise to be nice, Nothing could be more embarasing as the crowds peer in as you make the guy tell you he is sorry. There were a few fights where I had to take a kid down like 3 times cause he got all froggy after I let him up, one time a guy grabbed my hair and gouged my eyes while I had him down and then and only then did I unleash my knee on his ribs and face, hitting with your fist will only injure your hands. Durring the same fight the guys buddy tried to remove a cloths pole from the ground so I had to get up and chase him away once so be advised that there is rarely such a thing as a fare fight.
Hey I love the idea about setteling it in a gym boxing ring, thats a winner there where a ref can supervise and liability is limited and if you trian as suggested you can put a nice show on and let him know if the gloves were off he would be going home with hamburger for a face.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
CR25096er I see you’re in NJ, perhaps this would be helpful? CLICK

Another option may be to investigate what local martial arts studios offer in the way of short programs on self defense. This is not a belt program but something that is offered to the public and generally aimed at women but I've seen several men attend them locally. They usually last about 8 to 16 hours and may be done over a few days/weekends.

Any of the martial arts/boxing/wrestling ideas will take a significant commitment of time and while it may be helpful down the road it does not solve the immediate problem you seem to have. I also wrestled throughout school and it can be effective but unless you are able to quickly and correctly perform the holds it's not going to do much more than any of the other training programs.

Since its story time here's one. I was small during school until my junior year when I really beefed up from just natural growing and working in a meat shop moving sides of beef. Prior to that time I was about 5'-8" and about 145ish. Well one of the larger guys on the wrestling team decided he wanted to make my life difficult because..... well he was bigger than me and he was quite good at wrestling so I guess that was why :rolleyes:. What did I do when I got tired of his games? He watched my waist as any good grappler would and then went for the take down. As he was coming in my elbow was coming out and his jaw and my elbow met, his jaw lost. This aggravated him so when he swung I ducked and leapt towards him placing my knee in his gut. Since he decided to lie on the ground I figured now was a good time to put a full Nelson on him and rub his face on the pavement. About then the coach came by and broke it up, the kid talked some smack on occasion after that but he never wanted to throw down again. There's times things didn't work out in my favor as well but ya' know what? The other guy never wanted to fight again either so a draw was as good as a win. Maybe that's all it will take in your case or maybe not. If your not committed then, don't (i.e. "It's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog.")

Lawn_Dart

Jun 18, 2003
I agree with most. Avoid the fight if you can...it is probably just some punk spouting noise so he can feel tough.

I trained in martial arts for over 10 years. What did I learn? Respect, commitment, discipline, friendship, perseverance. Yes I learned to fight very well...and also learned there is no need to fight.

Unless someone is attacking you or your family...what is there to prove. That I can kick your butt? So what? Maybe you can kick my butt? So what? I have walked away from guys taunting me and calling me names because I knew I could take them out quickly...but what's the point?

Be a better man and just walk away. I would recommend taking some training though. I believe it will make you a better person in many ways...and sometimes you may not have the option to walk away. Then let your training take over.

Besides...just knowing how to fall has helped me when I take soil samples on my bike. Do a couple of rolls and usually end up on my feet.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by Lawn_Dart
I agree with most. Avoid the fight if you can...it is probably just some punk spouting noise so he can feel tough.

I trained in martial arts for over 10 years. What did I learn? Respect, commitment, discipline, friendship, perseverance. Yes I learned to fight very well...and also learned there is no need to fight.

Unless someone is attacking you or your family...what is there to prove. That I can kick your butt? So what? Maybe you can kick my butt? So what? I have walked away from guys taunting me and calling me names because I knew I could take them out quickly...but what's the point?

Be a better man and just walk away. I would recommend taking some training though. I believe it will make you a better person in many ways...and sometimes you may not have the option to walk away. Then let your training take over.

Besides...just knowing how to fall has helped me when I take soil samples on my bike. Do a couple of rolls and usually end up on my feet.

Good advice, being 18 once myself, I know that my tolerance and disapline were a little bit different than they are today (somthing to do with hormones I think), as said earlier if he hasn't done anything by now you should be able to one way or another avoid the situation. Take some kind of training to instill disapline, and better yourself as a person, but unless you or your loved ones are in "immediate" danger try to defuse the situation. Getting sued, beat up, or expelled are the least of your worries. I had a friend that I went to school with (very tough guy, actually was a fighter on the Spokane Chiefs hockey team years back) he got into it one night years back, and was kicked in the head by the guy he was fightings buddy, and that was lights out! He lost his life and a guy whose last thing on his mind was murder was charged with man-slaughter that night. These are the worst case scenarioes, but they do happen all the time. The human body can be quite fragile at times, do EVERYTHING you can to settle it non violently.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Turned out he was a state champion wrestler his freshman year in highschool in his previous school. Who knew?

Case rested.

I was staying over at the Simons' house (unwisely), and Wayne took Sean down. Sean said something like 'help me or I'll kick your ass." Wayne: "Don't help him or I'll kick your ass." Wayne took his left nipple off with a set of Vice Grips later that day. I got the hell out of there, lol.

The commitment thing (Patman) is absolutely real. I remember Sean doing 1000 situps, 200 pushups, and running through winter fallow for about 30" in boots before the bus picked him up at 6:00am. Then wrestling practice was later that day.

I realize this is off topic, but Wayne and Sean were on the bus one morning, Wayne in the back seat, Sean in the 2nd to back seat. The bus got stuck, and a tractor was pulling it out from the rear, unfortunately with a nylon rope attached to a looped chain, which was attached to the tractor's 3 point hitch. The chain snapped and the rope threw the chain through the back window, narrowly missing Wayne, hitting Sean in the head and knocking him 3 seats forward (while he was sleeping), went through the dash and into the block of the bus. Sean got up and starting swinging at Wayne, thinking Wayne had hit him. :scream:

He was bleeding from both ears (hemotympanum--basilar skull fracture), nose, etc. Left side of his head was caved in about an inch. He was lifeflighted to Wichita, where he underwent Neurosurgery to removed bone fragments out of his brain and a plate/bolt installed. They said he'd never walk again if he lived. He won the state championship in wrestling the next year. ;)

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Ok, there are too many black belts out there giving a bad name to martial arts. Many have their belts because the school they go to is about marketing and guarantee the belt as long as you show up for three years (if I did my job that way I'd be fired). There are also people that just don't have the talent or dedication to be good fighters regardless of the discipline. Then there is the tournament fighter. Don't get me wrong there are some good martial artist that participate in tournaments. It's just that most tournaments are about points, so you have these guys that learn how to hit quickly but there is just nothing behind their punches/kicks. Those guys I usually go in take a kick or two then beat the crap out of them (many have never been in a real fight). A fighting art is only as good as its practioner.

I also wrestled in high school and it is a great sport. But I do not believe that it is the ultimate fighting art. I do believe in cross training and being able to fight on your feet as well as on the ground. I was in a fight were they guy tried to take me down. He came in I moved back grabbed his hair turned his head to the side and hit him three times in the jaw. His friend carried him away.

Martial artist and boxers watch the chest not the waist. Martial artist have to watch for the feet as well so you use their peripheral vision to watch for movement. Experienced fighters can tell what someone is going to do by subtle body movements (inexperienced fighters are not so subtle). When I taught karate the students were always amazed when we would spar and I could tell them what they were going to do as soon as they thought about doing it. Training teaches you not to telegraph. People shift their weight to one leg when they are going to kick. Changes in body position make it easier to do certain types of kicks or punches. Learning to recognize those things can make you a better fighter.

Now to address the original issue. You should definitly take up some kind of training. A martial art, boxing or wrestling being able to handle yourself will make a big difference. Sometimes just a change in your attitude can change the way people treat you. Bullies are looking for victims not someone to give them a fight. Example I was standing outside center city philly waiting for a bus. I saw a group of about five guys walking down the street with one guy purposely bumping into people trying to start a fight. As they approached I pushed my gym back out of the way with my foot and stood tall. They walked around me. One of them said to his friend that was bumping everybody "He's ready for you". He didn't want someone that was ready for him he wanted a victim. Bullies don't want to get hurt they want to feel tough.

I have many more examples of people backing down because I displayed that I was ready, willing and able to defend myself. So train in something, train hard A boost in your confidence may be enough to get him off your back. It may not and it may come down to a fight but at least if it does you'll be a little better prepared to defend yourself.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom