Finally after 10 years I'm getting a dirt bike again - but which one?

truckjunky87

Jun 23, 2009
Finally after 10 years I'm getting a dirt bike again - but which one?

I used to ride but then life happened and I've been without a bike for awhile. I have the money and even the wife's blessing to go out and pick up a bike so which one?

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
-6'2" and 215 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
-Moderate I'd say

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
-Woods, hills, fields, maybe sand

4) Do you have any riding experience?
- Owned a Suzukie DR650 4 stroke

5) Do you think you will race ?
-no

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
-yes

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
-4-stroke for sure, leaning towards yamaha based on based on what appears to be better reliability over honda but haven't really considered suzuki/ktm/kawaski - should I?

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
- all brands have dealerships nearby

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
- I'd like to go used and stay between 2,000-3,000 so that I can pick up a 4-wheeler as well.

10) Do you live in California?
-no

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
-I'm not looking to have a street legal bike but I like the headlight idea. I've only really looked at yamaha and honda and yamaha seems to have the better top end. The other I don't know much about. I like power but I've experienced situations where less is more in this regards.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Consider KTM

I would urge you to look at KTM's 400XC/W. The power and handling are perfect for your stated use is. The 400 is about the same weight as the 450, however it feels lighter (shorter stroke?) and turns better in the tight stuff. Design and durability is excellent also. Minimal valve adjustments compared to most brands, although Yamaha is also good in this department. The suspension on the newer XC/W line is very good, but does take some testing to get it set for you. Play with the set up and you will be happy. Take a look.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I am 35 and, like yourself, returned to riding after about a 9-10 year layoff. I bought a 99 YZ400F. It can be tricky to start, but if you know what you are doing, it really isnt a problem. I would recommend the WR450 for you, since you like the idea of a light and it doenst sound like you need an MX bike. I wasnt really looking for an MX bike myself, but I found a killer deal on the Yamaha. I am running water wetter with a high psi cap and have not had problems overheating in the woods. Ive always loved Honda bikes, but you can read many threads about their maintenance issues. Mine isnt exactly maintenance free, but it isnt so bad compared to other stories I have heard.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I know your leaning towards a 4 stroke but at least check out a KTM 300 xcw. For your size and weight this bike ROCKS. Easy maintenance and solid reliability and very light and nimble. Latest models have E-start.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom