Finally found a suspension guy who knows vintage

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I called all around this country looking for bits and pieces to build my Husqvarna's rear suspension. And I run into a local suspension guy who has parts in stock, knows Ohlins, races vintage, can turn my shocks around in a couple of days, and doesn't give me the old..."well I might have some in the back ...oh yea I do...but they leak a little and they are 199.95" routine or "buy a set of works performance" answer. Fact is Ohlins is still in business and new parts are still offered for those old twin shock deals. Scotts Performance in California is a Ohlins distributer and will also rebuild those things if your in that part of the world.

Problem is Steve Sage is so busy he doesn't want much more work. Has as much as he can handle right now..But he's building my Ohlins and will spend a little R&D time on my VOR forks. I feel lucky. Its nice to deal with a straight shooter.

Sage Suspension is his company name. His name is Steve Sage and he's in Arvada Colorado, just north of Denver. He has raced Vintage forever and has the trickest looking Air cooled Yamaha Four Stroke I ever saw as well as a really clean restored 1981 Yamaha YZ465. The thing looks better than new.

If he will take on your job, consider yourself lucky. I do.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I have had my shocks for a bit. The ones rebuilt by Steve Sage. They work very well.

What he did was change the interenals to match my stiffer springs. I used the "white" progressive wound springs from a 1983 CR with those blue "ITC" shocks.

Even on the mototcross track this arraingement works very well. Enough rebound to get some air. Very well damped compression so they don't bottom hard.

To match the shocks, I took the stock springs with 1.5 inches of pre load. Used 20wt belray fork oil. They are in the hunt. Also let the tube slide up in the clamps so about 1" is protruding out the top. They are in the ball park. Still a little light on the springs.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

tentbound

Apr 2, 2001
Thank's for the info weimedog. I'm in the process of getting my old '83 XC500 running again. It's been sitting in a shed for 18 years. The springs are sacked and it needs some odds and ends. Hope to race it again soon.

BTW, I recently rode a VOR 503 out here in the So Cal desert. Boy, what a motor! The rear end was great, but the forks were a little harsh. I'm a gear-head so I could really appreciate the technology and workmanship- the bike was amazing.

Top Bottom