Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
Went and picked it up today. Haven't had much of a chance to do anything with it yet, but so far I really like it. The very first thing I am doing is lowering the seat height a bit. I could barely touch the ground with one foot. What I did was removed the stock seat foam and replaced it with a gel filled pad and a little bit of foam I had laying around to smooth it up. So far so good. I can actually touch both feet now. One question - I'm afraid this might be shipping damage - is the silencer supposed to have an indentation on the bottom of it? Theres a dent about two thirds of the way down it, and looks like it might have been bashed in by the rear brake caliper.

I can't wait to get this thing out in the desert for a test drive.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Wow, another guy from El Paso. Where’d you get the bike?

That “dent” in the silencer is so it will clear the caliper when it bottoms (easy to do on that bike). I don’t know what you weigh, but when we set the sag on my friends 400 EXC we ran out of room, he weighs around 210, so you may consider getting new springs.

And order some filters now, you can’t get them around here, and you will need to change your oil frequently (replacing both paper filters, yes there is two), especially during break in. I’ve had good success w/ North County Yamaha in San Diego area (800-225-629), they sell lots of KTM parts and bikes and are well stocked.

I have a hard time getting the right spark plug at Mr. Motorcycle, so don’t even get me started, and for God’s sake don’t let them jet your bike. Hell, don’t let them touch it. Do you ever get any gear from Wahler Specialties off of Airport? Great guy, good suspension tuner (779-6565).

BTW, why didn’t you get the MXC? More gas and taller gears work better out here. Maybe you don’t always ride around here...
Whatever, you’re gonna love that bike.

Person8

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 24, 2001
That's good to know. The dent kind of looked like it belonged there, but I wasn't sure. I ordered the bike through Mr. Motorcycle. Took them about a month and a half to get it here. I got the EXC so it would be easier for me to dual-sport it. A buddy and I like to explore the dirt roads throughout the countryside, and the bike has to be licensed for most of them. I hadn't heard of Wahler Specialties before. What do they do besides suspension? I kind of like the soft shock spring - it helps me to be able to get a foot on the ground. I'd like to find a good service shop in this area. Any recommendations?

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Pumpkin,

FWIW- close and wide, short and tall are not the same thing. I meant that the EXC’s first four gears are way “short” (not “close”), good for woods but not for the dez. The reason why they are wide is because they start out so short. See? Not all Hicks are stupid...

Person8,

You are lucky. They originally promised me an MXC last October, which got here last month. I no longer wanted it, and found another buyer, meanwhile I don’t have my deposit back yet. I think I may have to earn it...

Wahler is a little shop off of Airway, as small as his place is you are MUCH more likely to find what you need as far as gear goes there vs. Mr. Motorcycle. He is also a good suspension guy, has been riding for years, knows all the local trails (on the east side) and is just a good source of information. If you don’t know what kind of ____ to get for you or your bike, I would trust him to know what is what.

As for service, I have no answers. I do all my work myself in part because Team Mr. is so incompetent. If you didn’t have a KTM I’d direct you to Las Cruces. Unfortunately Mr. Moron-o-cycle appears to be your only choice outside of Tucson or Albuquerque. I may be overly cynical but I’m hoping your bike doesn’t need any major repairs...

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Congtrats on the new bike!! I also picked up a new 520 EXC this weekend. As far as major repairs, the reason I have waited this long to get a 520 is I wanted to see how reliable they would be. I rode a 426 until recently, and now that the 520s are proving themselves very nicely, its time for the "little black button" machine.;) :cool:

Top Bottom