2621t7s.jpg

And the other bike, the 2002 XR250.
thexr250rzu3.png

My little bro on the XR
codyandthexr250sx7.png

Last edited:

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Oh yeah. We ride almost every weekend on trails back behind my dad's house along a river. They just look really clean because we keep them that way. :)

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
flyingfuzzball said:
are you sure thats your little bro you look exactly like each other LOL

nice lookin bikes.
Thanks man.

And yeah, we get that a lot. People ask all the time if we are twins. I'm actually 2 years older, but he is taller and has about 15 lbs on me.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
RM85rider123 said:
whats the seat height on both bikes?
The XR sits 36 inches high and the KDX sits 36.4 inches high. But, the KDX sags more so it seems like it sits a tad lower than the XR. I'm 5'8" and I can touch on the balls of my feet on both. My brother is 5'9" or 5'10" and can touch flat footed on both.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
thanks for the response, but since I am about 5'3 and I can fit a 34.4 inch seat height, do you think I could fit something the size of the XR? Thanks

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
RM85rider123 said:
thanks for the response, but since I am about 5'3 and I can fit a 34.4 inch seat height, do you think I could fit something the size of the XR? Thanks
I'd say its all about how comfortable your are on a bike. If you can put one foot on the peg and lean the bike over and get one foot on the ground, you'll be fine. You probably won't be able to touch with the bike standing straight up, but for some that doesn't even matter.

The rear shock on the XR isn't cranked all the way down. Its about in the middle so it could go maybe 1/2 to 1 inch lower. And if that isn't enough for you, you could always shave the seat.

Why, what are you thinking about getting?

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
I was just wondering, the bike that has the 34.4 inch seat height is my RM85L, so I was just asking because when I am 16 or something I might want to get another XR. I rode an XR100 before and I really liked it, but anyways does that XR have a lot of torque? the 100 barely had any at all. could you also tell me what type of oil you are running in that KDX? I just got some castrol syntec for my 85 and i was wondering if it is good stuff or not?

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
The XR250 has tons of torque. It has more low end grunt than the KDX and the XR is bone stock. My KDX has a rev pipe on it though so its not really comparable, but you can tell the XR will always put more power to the ground than the KDX. The Kawi just has less traction than the Honda.

Anyway, I'm currently running Mobil 1 full synthetic, but they are discontinuing that oil for whatever reason. Once I run out of the quart of Mobil 1, I'll start running Bel-Ray H1R synthetic. Castrol is a good oil, I've never ran it in my bike but I've heard that from others. If you want to be safe, run Mobil 1, Bel-Ray, Klotz, or Castrol.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
since I am still new to 2-strokes, could you give me tips on mixing the fuel because mine always smokes a little to much; Do you mix one tank full at a time or what? Also, how often do you have to change the oil that we were just talking about?

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
What do you run ratio-wise? 32:1?

I ran 32:1 when I first got my bike, but it was running rich, so I now run 40:1. It runs a ton better and smokes very little. But, it basically depends on your bike and your type of riding. I measure exactly one gallon of gas, add 3 oz. of oil, shake 'er up, and repeat for as many gallons as I need mixed. I usually mix two because that just about fills my tank if I haven't run it completely dry.

A great tool for you would be the Ratio Rite cup. Its got marks for all types of ratios to certain gallon amounts.

http://www.motoworldracing.com/Ratio-Rite.html

What is your current method of mixing?

RM85rider123 said:
Also, how often do you have to change the oil that we were just talking about?

Were you talking about tranny oil or premix oil for gas?

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
sweet, thanks for the mixing cup website, man I could really use that. My method is usually pouring 2 gallons of gas in a gas container and adding the certain amount of oil. but since my bike is smaller, it only has a 1.4 gallon tank so if I make 2 gallons, It would be to much oil in the second tank of gas(i hope you understand what i said). right now i am running a 30:1 ratio though. Usually I would ride it moderatley to hard, hard only when I am hitting the powerband;man I love powerbands!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
No problem. I just got my cup the other day. No more guesswork. Just fill it to whatever ratio you run and dump it in.

BTW, I don't know anything about race bikes, but 30:1 sounds really rich and is definitely the reason your bike smokes a lot. Do you ever pull your plug and see if it is wet/oily? If it is, you know to cut back on oil and run a higher ratio.

What does your manual say? 32:1 probably, but you never know. I've never owned an MX bike...

Jan 3, 2007
XMotoX, not to be abrasive but by putting in less oil you are giving the engine more gas making it more rich. If your bikes ever foul plugs its because of jetting not fule mixtures. I have ran 16.7:1 in one of my bikes and the results are better then that at running it at 32:1. If you are using a regular mixing oil (non-synthetic) i would not go too much past a 32:1 fule mixture. If you are running a full synthetic such as AMSOIL DOMINATOR you can run a 50:1 mixture safely and a 100:1 if properly jetted to that mix ratio. Just pitching in.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
XMotoX, not to be abrasive but by putting in less oil you are giving the engine more gas making it more rich. If your bikes ever foul plugs its because of jetting not fule mixtures. I have ran 16.7:1 in one of my bikes and the results are better then that at running it at 32:1. If you are using a regular mixing oil (non-synthetic) i would not go too much past a 32:1 fule mixture. If you are running a full synthetic such as AMSOIL DOMINATOR you can run a 50:1 mixture safely and a 100:1 if properly jetted to that mix ratio. Just pitching in.
If you are running less oil in your gas, you are running a lean mixture, not rich. You are right that fouling plugs has to do with jetting, not mixture ratios, but like you said, you need to be jetted to the mix ratio you are running. If I have no idea what jets are in my bike because I bought it used, I might have to experiment with mixtures unless I want to take the carb apart and check the jets. If the plug is oily, I should rejet, but with my KDX, I just ran a leaner mixture and my plug stayed dry.

And when you run a rich mixture, your bike smokes, like the RM guy said about his bike. He was running rich by running 30:1 instead of 32:1. I'm not saying that you can't run mixtures richer than 32:1, I had just never heard of it myself (I use full synthetic oils.)

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
hey, its rm85 rider again, I dont have the manual but there is a sticker on the tailfin saying: premixture oil and gas-30:1, so thats where I got that from. the mixture is probably so rich because suzuki screwed up by saying so high of a ratio. I am scared to pull my plug, just because I heard that if you dont put it back on tight enough, antifreeze could leak in or something. Trust me, i am not good with bolts or something that screws on, I cracked the engine case where you drain the oil; it was when we just got the bike and I was freaking out trying to know if it was tight enough, problem fixed now thanks to JB weld. oh yeah, I was talking about the tranny oil, I didint know what to call it, crankcase oil, gear oil, etc.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
XMotoX, so young. I once was the same way when i was new.
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/
go there, go to tech tips on the left hand side and then go to carb tunning and go past 2 diagrams ( one of a carb abd the other of jets for slide position and there should be a big stop sign and read what it has to say.
Okay. So, if my plug is black and oily, that means that I'm running too "rich" with too much gas? How does this work? You'd think the plug would be less oily if you are running too much gas and too little oil. It all seems backwards. Can you explain why? Because when I started running less oil, my plug stopped coming out wet and oily like it did when I ran 32:1.

muddertrucker

Aug 24, 2006
Less oil in your gas only means less lubrication in your engine not a lean mixture. Lean/rich mixtures are terms used for carburation. It all has to do with air fuel ratios for a perfect cumbustion. On a 4 stoke it's usualy supposed to be 14.7:1. Your engine is also supposed to run at a certain temperature if your to rich not all the gas gets burned because of an imperfect cumbustion. Since a two stoke has oil in its gas the unburnt oil will stay on the plug. By changing your oil/gas mixture you might be fixing one problem but you might also be causing an other one down the road. A wet plug does'nt mean much anyways because thats not the correct way to check your jetting.

You realy should take your carb apart just to see what it looks like. I'm a diesel mechanic and realy had no idea how a two stoke carb worked untill I took mine apart.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me. I was convinced of the opposite for as long as I can remember. So that means that I probably need to adjust my jetting a little to keep my bike running its best, instead of messing with premix ratios.

Top Bottom