TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
First ride was on the rough and rocky trails around my house. The forks are very stiff for woods riding. My arms pumped up REALLY fast, but that's probably tied more to the fact that I hadn't ridden in 5 years. The shock felt fine. The power of the engine suprised me, since it's WAY more powerful than a 125 (my last bike was a '93 CR125). The low-end acceleration and throttle response is easily equal to a good 250 2-stroke. Actually, this goes against most of the things I've read, but the bike feels much more like a 250 than a 125 to me in both engine power and weight. First gear is a bit high for tight woods riding. I stalled it once.

At the MX track, the suspension was excellent! I may go with slightly stiffer fork springs, but it's not mandatory. The engine worked great, but it still didn't feel like a 125. I found that it had a very even spread of power, and that if I revved it too high, power would taper off. I definitely spent more time in the low-end and midrange than I do on a 125. I don't feel like you have to (or should) ride it like a 125. Maybe that will change in the future? I wasn't using the clutch nearly as much as I would on a 125.

I haven't had any major problems starting the bike hot or cold. I did stall it on the trail once, and that time it took about 6-7 kicks.

Bottom line is that, for me, it's a very good bike. In my case, it's not the dream bike that others have made it out to be. I plan to enjoy the bike for the year, then decide if I'm a 2 or 4 stroke guy. Right now, I'd probably still prefer a strong 125 (especially considering the price difference). Time will tell...

------------------

[This message has been edited by TriPower (edited 04-20-2001).]

Tim250F

Nov 22, 2000
A four stroke definately takes some getting used to when comming off a two stroke. I think that you like most people will prefer the four stroke once you are used to the differences in power delivery and learn its advantages. I don't think I could ever go back to two strokes myself.

------------------
'01 YZ250F...Bad to the Bone!

adamwn

Apr 13, 2001
Im interested in this bike and would like to know the age/weight of the owners out there?
does it have good power for adults?
im riding a 00 RM-250 right now and have decided to trade for a four-stroke. im thinking 02 CRF450R, or 02 yz426 (or 450 if they change like they say their going to).
or maybe a drz400e or ktm520. i dont want a slow trail bike, i want some snapp to the power. i ride a XR650r too and it is great but i want a bike that is more like my RM250, so i can still have the best of both worlds (trail/motocross).

------------------
Adam from SoCal
01 XR650R
01 400EX
00 RM-250
01 Recon

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
I'm 32, 6', 200lbs, and I have absolutely no problem with the power of the 250F. It's very fast! Faster than I though it would be. TONS of "snap".

I too had hoped that the 250F would be a better trail bike than my old CR125. Unfortunately, I can't really say that it's true. It's the same as every other MX'er in the woods. Stiff and high geared. Given the choice between the 2 stroke 250 and 250F for woods riding, I would take the 250F. The 250F won't get away from you like a 250 2S can. Smoother power and better traction.

------------------

Top Bottom