Fire , Fire...

Has anyone else had the silencer packing catch fire on them. I thought I had done my engine in but soon found the silencer smoking prefusly unattached to the bike. Then to boot I got a flat front tyre. Not a successful day out riding.... Anyone had this problem before???

What kind of packing do you use? Hopefully not flamable material.:scream:

I've never had my silencer catch on fire, but it has smoked like crazy. This normally happens after a long, high-speed blast. I'm pretty sure the smoke is created by the spooge in the pipe and silencer getting real hot and "burning" off. No real fire though.

You are right NYKDXER it wasnt really flames but more like smoldering. It is Oneal silencer packing. I have bought the FMF four stroke packing. They claim it lasts a lot longer. Only time will tell. Im just releived that its happened to someone else. Thanks guys...

wibby

Mod Ban
...And Silent Sport is Ooooh Soooo Quiet!

canyncarvr

Subscriber
Went from hi-80's to 99db.

No, not unrideably loud...but if you're headed toward a 92db limited area (like the upper left coast), you won't be doing any riding after they cite you.

Thanks again CC. I ride purely on private land which is pretty remote so if I stick to ridng there I should be OK....I HOPE !!!