first 80 which 1??

jb honda

Apr 24, 2002
i have had my xr100 for a while now and i am wondering what would be the best 2 stroke 80 for me i have never ridden 1 before which 1 is the most user friendly

<mod edit: please try to check your spelling before posting, thanks>

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
The Rm 80 would definately be the most user friendly.

I moved up to a Cr80 from an xr80 with no problem, however. Get whatever you are comfortable with.

Yamaha0506

Apr 11, 2002
Hey i would go with the YZ85. I heard those thing rip!!
Or u could get a CR80.The panel on one side only is ugly though.
How much longer are u gunna have your XR for?

kx80rider

Mar 29, 2002
Hey, i went from a rt100 to a kx80 with no prob. But there is a world of diffrece between the two, trust me, if you arnt going to race dont get a raceing bike!! its a wast of monny and time, i trail ride my 80 but i had to regear the srockets so it coulde hill climb and all of that, and you have to change the oil every 7 hrs, clean the air filter after a full day of rideing, and replace the slincer packing after 2-3 days of rideing, and if you dont do all of that you will start fouling plugs out and i have foulded them out when i was close to 7-8 miles from camp. and the top end depending on how you ride it will go out once a year, im not trying to talk you out of it or anything, but just warning you befor you go blow all your monny on a bike that will be nothing but proboms, but im geting ready to sell and and by a xr 200, but i would test ride a 80 to, but they are alot of fun when they run right,
well good luck and let us know what you do!
Philip
p.s, there is such little diffrences between the diffrent brands it really doesnt mater, i bought a kx becuse i like green, lol

Slack_505

Jan 28, 2001
I would go with a yz85 if I where you.1) Broader power band so it is easier to ride if you are not used to staying in a powerband.2)Not as steep of a powerband if you hit the gas on a cr the powerband kicks iin and if you dont know how to ride a 2 smoke then you will be on your ass. 3)has won the 80 shootout for like the past 6 years.4)Easy to keep running (from what I hear)
my 5cents
Slack :think:

TechKid

Apr 30, 2002
I would go with the KX80.BY FAR the most easy to ride bike.I have had em' all and the KX is the easiest t ride.Everthing on it is pretty good. Yz's have EXCELLENT top end but it needs porting to add to bottom.KX80's are good stock.RM's are too loaded with bottom and have little top.CR's also are loaded w/ bottom

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
"CR's also are loaded w/ bottom"

I have one, and it is a top end only screamer. Have you ridden one?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by TechKid
CR's also are loaded w/ bottom

You may have damaged your credibility a bit with that one. :o

jb honda

Apr 24, 2002
no i have never ridin 1 so wat 1 whold be the most freindly for me i have had an xr100 for like a year and a half??

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
i would say try to make you 100 last untill the new cr85 come out they look awsome i for one made and ajustment to a xl185 to a cr250 with no looking back 80/85 are very fast but i think you should be able to handle it

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How about a little more rider info? How tall? What do you weigh? What do you ride? Why do you think you need a 2 stroke? There are several good 4 strokes available dependant on your size and riding. Also check the Honda page folks, it doesn't look like the twinspar 85 is going to happen this model year. When it does it will be a very sweet bike though.

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Don't buy a YZ85 (or even a CR for that matter) if you have only been riding for 1 1/2 years on and XR. The difference is substantial. A used RM is probably the mildest of the four 2 strokes, the KX next and then the CR and YZ. I have seen many kids (and some parents) who have ridden a XR for years jump on my sons KX-65 only to be looking at the sky within the first 20 feet. You do not want a pipey bike if your used to the torque of an XR. IMO.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Another one bites the dust!!

While mini 2-strokes are powerfull, the big reason why adults tend to end up on the ground when riding them is more the weight distribution.

My son started riding a Honda XR100 last June, in Sept I got him a YZ85 and he had very little trouble adjusting . First day he was faster on the MX track and it was only a couple weeks before he was faster in the woods. Now I can't get him off the track to ride in the woods with me, good thing where we ride has both.

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
I ride a kx 100, and I love it! I did ride a kx 80, but I outgrew it. I'm only 5'1", and I'm a little short for my bike, but not much. I think the kx 80 was very user friendly. It had enough bottom end, and plenty of top end too. The kx 100 is pretty much the same, but it's 6 pounds heavier, an inch taller, and has more bottom and top end. The 100 is a great bike, and it's the one I would suggest. If you're convinced you want an 80, I'd say the kawasaki 80, plus green's the best color. Hope I helped some, and I hope you get a bike soon.

tommyboy

Jun 22, 2002
i agree with kx80rider 2 strokes are alot of maintenece i ride a cr 80 its fun for jumping and the track but if your not doing that then get a fourstoke. im going to sell my 80 and get a new crf 230 ive heard there supposed to be really good exept for suspension but if you buy racing /jumping forks for it . It will be a really great bike

flyfishdoc

Apr 29, 2002
We recently bought 2 used RM's for a great price, I havent had a chance to ride either of them (I primarily ride a YZ125) but they're supposed to be really good bikes. If you want speed and performance go with the YZ85, but its gonna haul. Id say get an RM, its a great bike.
Andrew

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
The RM85 is a great bike for both the beginner and expert mini rider. Great bottom end and it will rev out well. My youngest son started riding my older sons's '00 RM80 when he was 6. The power band is very forgiving for beginners.

GnarlyKX100

Jul 23, 2002
Go with a KX80 because its a friendly bike and easy to control. It also comes with the power but you might outgrow it. If you wanted too look into a KX100

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
Check out the DRZ 125L you might like it better. Smoother power than a 2 stroke.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…