eng208

Nov 27, 2002
Hey everybody, just wanted to brag a little and say I went to my first actual race in about 15 years and picked up two second place finishes resulting in first overall in the 125 beginner class.
I sold my last KX125 in 1988 (it was an 85) and bought my new KX in Dec 02 (it is an 03) making this my first dirt bike since. I went to riding street bikes when I sold my 85. I have been working hard at practicing on the local practice track for the last couple of months and thought I was really improving. Yesterday was the big day and I found out just what I need to work on. Not just going faster, but being a little more aggressive. My wife videotaped me and while the guy in first and myself were going just as fast as guys in the C class, neither of us were very aggressive. It was like we didn't want to block or I didn't want to pass for fear of cutting him off or something. I think most of it has to do with who I am as a person, I am an EMT by trade so I couldn't consciously pass someone and make them wreck and feel good about it.
The track was awfully muddy and I have never ridden in the mud before. I was catching the leader in the first moto and crashed in a huge soupy hole. It just stuck me right in the middle. I got back up before being passed though and finished second. The leader was pretty fast, I think we all should have been a couple of classes higher after looking at the C and D classes.
In the second moto, I got the holeshot but gave it up coming out of the first turn. I let off because I didn't want to bump anybody. See, not aggressive enough, so I came over the first jump in third. We were going pretty fast through a rythm section when the leader and winner of the first moto endoed over the bars on the last little double. Second and I passed him and then gave the crowd the best race of the day for the last laps, I just couldn't make the pass stick, finally conceding to second. One thing I knew though, as long as I finished second with this guy winning, I would get first overall, and that is exactly what happened. On a good note, I did do this HUGE step up jump that hardly anybody was doing. It sent one guy in the higher class to the hospital with a dislocated femur. It was pretty sik. I just went for it and cleared it. It was cool. Sorry to brag, but I never won a trophy in the 4 races I competed in back in the 80's
Chris
03 KX125

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
uh um.. sandbagger... :p
j/k, congrats on your race. It feels good to be up front doesn't it? I only got to lead a couple of times and never finished 1st in a moto with more than 10 riders during my stint as a beginner. I did end up with a few 1st overalls but more 2nds / 3rds, etc in the beginner class.

I took to racing around the age of 42, never raced before and last bike I owned was 1973 yamaha 80 my dad bought new for me. To say the least it had been a while. When it was time for me to move out of the beginner class I went straight to the B class at my home town track but I have more fun in the over age classes.

Last edited:

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
WAAHOO, thats great man! I think my best finish ever was 7 out of 17 or maybe 15 out of 40, but thats in H/S's not MX! You MX guys are crazy! LOL

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Congrats eng208, must be nice to see the front of the pack! :worship:

jabroni1m

Mar 14, 2003
Congradulations, seems like a great race. I hope I can do the same in my first race later this year, or next year. Got to get a bike first.

Top Bottom