PIOTROWSKI

Jun 26, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6'1 240lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? I try and ride er hard
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? 100% Motocross, maybe a field here and there
4) Do you have any riding experience? A bit
5) Do you think you will race ? Most Likely
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Most of the stuff ya
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 2 stroke only
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Suzi, Kawi, Honda, Ymaha
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? around 1500
10) Do you live in California? Nope
11) Your age? 16
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I want to get a dirtbike to take to the track but Im tore up between a 125 or a 250 braaaaapp. Im a big guy but im not sure if Im ready for a 250 yet. I started riding bikes a couple of years ago but this will be MY first full sized dirtbike so im not 100% experianced yet, Iv ridden some of my friends bikes but not long enough to get used to them. My dad is lending me some money and hees sayin to suck it up and go with the 250 and learn as I progress but my friends are telling to go with a 125. I need your guys help, Thanks

Last edited:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
At 6'-1" and 240 lbs., if you have any skills at all, you will outride the 125 in no time. Your dad gives good advice, go 250, learn it, and you will have no regrets.

I'm at 160 on a "fat" day, and won't bother with a 125.

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
250 will be fine just dont try and pin it to win it your first day out. My dad had me starting on a xr500 under the impresion that if you can ride the hardest thing you can ride the easiest. Kinda true I went froma xr500 to a 125 and the 125 felt like a bmx bike. 250 youll be fine go with a YZ if you only have 1500 and have to go with a slightly older bike

PIOTROWSKI

Jun 26, 2007
Thanks a lot for the advice boys, I think ill just get the 250 and take er easey the first couple of times out. The bike I was looking at is a 99 YZ 250 so Ill take your advice and go for it!

PIOTROWSKI

Jun 26, 2007
O and one more thing, not to sound like an idiot but how hard do the powerbands hit on these thing? Is it enough to flip the bike over backwards if your not ready for it? Because my friends wont shut up about how bad the things realy are. thanks

fastrider11

Sep 2, 2007
They can have a lil jerk but you should not have a problem.Im 14 years old and am only 125 pounds and race a RM250 and a KX450F.Dont listen to them and take it easy.HAVE FUN!

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
unless you sit back twist the right and let go in the left your gonna be fine.. i think its easier to loop an 80 than a 250

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
The bike will only hit as hard as the rider makes it hit. Clutch and throttle, it's all about control.

I think you made the right choice, now take it easy, learn and give us a ride report.

Top Bottom