First Bike For My 10 Year Old Daughter

DCR

Mar 22, 2005
I am looking for a first motorcycle for my daughter she is almost 11 years old, weighs 60lbs and is about 4’4”. She has had some vehicular experience, she has ridden four wheelers. She is very athletic. She has played soccer and softball every season since she was about 3 years old. She is aggressive on the ball field, but not so much on the four wheeler, but then again she has only ridden it a few times. I am not planning on starting out on automatic. I don’t think she will have any problem learning to shift. I prefer two strokes because of the ease of maintenance, but would consider something like an XR, but I have noticed they are significantly heavier. Thanks for your posts

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
That is a tough question. I got my first bike when I was 9, it was either a Honda XL85 or 75. The four stroke had a smoother power band that was easy for me to handle at that age. My advise would be to start with a small 4 stroke, although the weight could be a factor. An 85cc 2 stroke is alot of zip for a 60 pound girl.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
My daughters both learned on Honda CRF/XR50 & 70's, then moved up to an XR/CRF 80's & 100. Now on a Yamaha TTR 125LE and a CRF150F, with a few rides on a YZ 85.

Mine are 15 & 17 now, and started younger than your daughter. At 11, she could ride an XR/CRF 80. The Honda kids bikes are as reliable as a rock, and pretty light, too. Air filter, oil, chains & tires will be all you'll tend to before she outgrows one.

I have taught dozens of kids to ride. It's tough to beat the Honda XR/CRF series, for growing riders, even though I have a fleet of Yamahas. I think each bike I've sold only cost me a couple of hundred $$, net, to own & ride. Still have the 70 & 80, just for teaching other kids on.

Good luck & have fun! :cool: :ride:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The little non-MX bikes for kids are great and help build a confident base. The Suzuki JR's are good little bikes as the the Honda XR/CRF and Yamaha TTR/PW's. Find one that fits her comfortably and is maybe a bit big and you'll have a bike she can ride for a few years.

nosman

May 5, 2009

DCR said:
I have been looking at Suzuki jr 60s & 80s. Does anybody have any experience with these?

I learnt on a 2003 Suzuki JR 80 when I was about that age. They are a good bike to learn on. The 2 stroke gives 'em quite a bit of power, but not too much to handle. A good beginner bike.

I still have mine, but moved up to a 125

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom