First bike........trouble? KTM LC4 640

mannytranny

Feb 12, 2005
Howdy
I am in the market for a DS bike, mostly for riding out in Ut to get out and take me longer distances than my mountain bike can.

It needs to be a DS, it will be registered in Ca. I weigh 180 lbs, am 6'1". Ive never ridden before, but I am a long time mountain biker.

I looked around at the DRZ, but I found something that caught my eye.. A 2002 KTM LC4 640 six days package, 3000 miles for 5 grand.

Ive got a bit before I seal the deal, but do you think I am over my head?

I just want a nice quiet 4 stroke that will be a comfortable cruiser out for longer desert roads.

Read that it weighed just a few pounds more than a DRZ 400S......

Let me know what you think.

Tx

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Being 6 foot + you will like the KTM- it has room to spread out.

Perfect bike for what you want to do with it, I say go for it- but the 3k miles is a lot in my opinion, I would try to get the price down a little unless the guy has great maintenance records and the bike is in outstanding shape. for 5k you are approaching the price of a new/newer one .

Feb 13, 2005
scott

hey, i noticed your avatar thing ,...looks like you got some ktms? just looking for your opinon on a 02, 03 ktm 540? ( 2 stroke ) i currently have a cr 500 but a freind is strapped for cash, letting it go for 1700.00!

mannytranny

Feb 12, 2005
I read and read and read and found that this model of KTM is especially prone to vibration. Not sure of how bad it would be, but I dont like unknowns when I cant see the thing in person before plunking down $$$.

It was from a shop, and the guy wasnt overly helpful (nor willing to negotiate whatsoever) so I let it go...Been thinking of waiting a while longer, and then offering 4500 cash. Who knows........

Otherwise Im still looking for DRZ's.............

Anyone know about any problems common to the LC4?

tx

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
the 540 2002 2003 should be a 4 stroke- there was a 2 stroke 550 in the early '90's - i am not aware of a 540 2 stroke being made that recently- but I don't know everything - I prove that several times a day , too !

Manny I don't think the LC4 vibes are any big deal, but KTM's in general do not ride like couches- a DRZ will feel like a marshmellow compared to a KTM- but everyone likes different things- I can't ride most japanese bikes because they are too mushy, my friends with DRZ's can't ride mine because it is too firm./ it's all what you like

Top Bottom