oasion

Feb 24, 2007
Need Help New To All This Stuff

Hi, My name is Alex
my younger brother's best friend dirtbikes and after going to a race or two with them and trying there bike i have decided i want to try and i am wondering what bike to get

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
15 years old 5'8 145
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Average
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
with friends at a motorcross track with jumps and such (new to the whole thing not sure about the correct clasification of the track)
4) Do you have any riding experience?
ridden small >100cc bikes around the block and flat fields
5) Do you think you will race ?
not sure but probably in the next year or two
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
not much experience in mechanics so would rather not have to do much bike work
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
not to sure about whether 2 or 4 stroke (not in california in florida so no enviormental problems as far as i know)
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
im in miami i am pretty sure every single bike CAN be found within 50 miles
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
under 6k
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
QUALITY is very important so i would not have break downs and need to buy a new bike until i grow out of it i am willing to PAY for QUALITY

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
I wouls say a KTM SX125. It is the best and most reliable 125 you can get. The KTM SX250 is also another great bike. But with the lack of riding time i would say you are better off with the 125.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
I think Id stick with a 2-stroke, much cheaper and easier to maintain. Id go with a Yamaha YZ 125 or a KTM 125 SX.

Jan 3, 2007
Ok, a SX125 is a KTM racing 125 2 stroke. I find that the KTM is more reliable then a YZ or CR is the fact you have a hand crafted bike with a better bike backround. Also, the KTMs have no linkage to the back shock wich makes for a matience free almost back end.

oasion

Feb 24, 2007
Thanks for the advice, but i was just checking the local dealers and i noticed there is a honda dealer that is three miles from my house so what would you guys suggest as far as a honda goes

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
I would go with a cr 125 if you want honda Don't let them talk you into a 4 stroke they cost to much to keep up if you ride them hard. If you ride you will have to do some maintnice like chain sprokets and oil but it isn't too hard.
good luck

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
Ok, a SX125 is a KTM racing 125 2 stroke. I find that the KTM is more reliable then a YZ or CR is the fact you have a hand crafted bike with a better bike backround. Also, the KTMs have no linkage to the back shock wich makes for a matience free almost back end.

Umm...no. Dont get me wrong, I love KTM and will most likely buy one as my next bike, but saying that it is more reliable than other 2-strokes is plain poop. Honda has always been known for the quality of their bikes and from what I have seen of late, Yamaha has also been paying attention to detail. How do you come to your conclusion? You said that you "find" them to be more reliable. What research have you done? How many have you owned? Have you ever even ridden one? Its great to try to help other members, but dont get carried away and post wrong information. The KTM 125sx is a great bike, but saying that its the best and most reliable 125 is your opinion and not fact. To be honest, many people criticize the linkage-less rear suspension and prefer the linkage type. As for reliability...Im sure they are pretty good, but I have no evidence that would lead me to believe they are better than lets say Kawasaki or Suzuki 2-strokes. Just my 2 cents. :cool:

Jan 3, 2007
RocketRaccoon, how can you say that what i think is wrong. It is only an opinon. Its kind of like giving a review a bad mark because that is what they think. Plus when is the last time Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, or Suzuki ever put any money into there 2 strokes in the past year or so. KTM is always moving forward and desinging brand new engines and chassies. I think the SX125 stands out from all the rest in my mind and there is nothing you can do that will stop me from thinking it or saying it because it is a free country with the freedom of speach.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
RocketRaccoon, how can you say that what i think is wrong. It is only an opinon. Its kind of like giving a review a bad mark because that is what they think. Plus when is the last time Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, or Suzuki ever put any money into there 2 strokes in the past year or so. KTM is always moving forward and desinging brand new engines and chassies. I think the SX125 stands out from all the rest in my mind and there is nothing you can do that will stop me from thinking it or saying it because it is a free country with the freedom of speach.

You should go back and re-read your post. If you had said that it was your "OPINION" that the KTM was the best, I never would have posted. You didn't. You stated that it "WAS" the best. That implies that you had based your statement on fact which you did not. Also...a review is based on observations made while testing several bikes and comparing them. Sometimes the bikes are Dynode and in turn factual information is given to the reader. What you posted is in no way similar to a review published in a magazine. Im not trying to change your mind about KTM. As I said in my post...I will be buying one in the future for some of the reasons you posted. I was just pointing out to you that you need to be careful when posting answers to peoples questions. Be clear on what is your opinion and what is fact. There are allot of first timers here that could make a decision based on your post and if incorrect information is given...it could cost them dearly. Thats all...peace. :cool:

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
4thGearAndPinned said:
Rocket Raccoon - Did you race at the CTTU fun ride in central village, CT a couple years back?

Sorry...wasn't me. I just got back into riding again after taking several years off. I haven't raced since I was a kid. Seems like only yesterday... ;)

Jun 5, 2006
It really doesn't matter what brand you get, they're all good. Go with either a 125 2 stroke or 4 stroke with any of the major brands (honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha, or ktm)

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
I say let them talk you into getting a 4 stroke, a Honda CR 250f would be perfect, its easy to ride, you dont have to be agressive on it, putting around on it is fine until you get some good seat time then the bike will always be able to handle very agressive riding when you are ready. You will not out grow this bike any time soon if ever, maintainance is not as bad or expensive as a lot of people say. Most people say this as to try and find something negative about a 4 stroke. The most negative thing about a 4 stroke is their a little pricey brand new. Its the newest technology, get a 4t.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom