first bike

BenWolf

Jan 12, 2004
Hey guys, I just picked up my first bike, its an '84 CR500. I know this is by no means a first timer bike, but, what the heck. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this bike that might have some maintenance tips for me. It was well taken care of and recently rebuilt, but, it's still a 20 year old bike. This is also my first 2 stroke (always been into quads....)Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

B

biglou

Air-cooled? I think PK has one of these beasts. I'll see if I can steer him this way for some advice. :thumb:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I had one of those. It was my first two stroke too. Since then I've had an 87 500, a 98 500, and now a new 4 stroke.

Be prepared for lots of hard kicking. Unlike the newer 500s, there are no groves in the cylinder to bleed off compression while kicking it over. It will burble off idle, and be arm ripping on the pipe. Smiles for everyone. :aj:
pay attention to possible detonation. Those bikes were famous for it. I used premium fuel and mx2t and never had a problem.
There is a starting drill to it. You will learn what it is soon I'm sure.
Have fun. It will give you a good reference point for your next two wheel purchase.

PK

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…