First bikes for me and my wife...

hforo

Apr 17, 2008
Me 27, wanting to get back into riding:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'3, 280 (Yeah I'm a big guy)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I used to ride bikes/ATVs when I was younger but I probably won't be super aggressive, trails, some jumps etc, nothing crazy..
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Trails, the occasional track, maybe some dunes...
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I used to ride when younger, a KX125... and i've ridden ATVs a fair amount
5) Do you think you will race ?
Nope!
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes :)
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I think I want a 4 stroke, I don't wanna really deal with the oil/gas of 2 strokes...
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I think we have every major brand dealer nearby :)
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
As much as we need to... we can buy new
10) Do you live in California?
No
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Nope

Her 23, never ridden before

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'11, 210
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I'm not sure how aggressive she'll be, I could see her getting into it though...
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Trails, the occasional track, maybe some dunes...
4) Do you have any riding experience?
She's ridden a quad before, not a bike though...
5) Do you think you will race ?
Nope!
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes (I will be doing the work for her) :)
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I think I want a 4 stroke, I don't wanna really deal with the oil/gas of 2 strokes...
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I think we have every major brand dealer nearby :)
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
As much as we need to... we can buy new
10) Do you live in California?
No
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Nope

So thats basically it, we'll want to get bikes that we won't have to replace if we do end up getting more into it, more aggressive, etc...

So if anyone has some suggestions toss them out :)

(I was looking at the 450 4strokes for myself, and like a 230ish for her... but I'm not sure if thats the right way to go or not, as I haven't ridden in about 7 years...)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Does your wife know that you put her weight out on the internet?

Your wife is fairly tall so she would probably be comfortable on a full size bike. You might want to lower the suspension just a little.

Kicking a four stroke can be a tad difficult at times. I know a bunch of ladies that can do it no problem at all but there are a lot of others that would never be able to start a stubborn bike by kick starting it. Electric start can go a long way to keeping the ride enjoyable.

I think that the biggest decision you need to make is how excited and "into" this your wife really is. If she likes the idea, and wants to be a little agressive then she would probably do well on a bigger bike, such as a Yamaha WR250F. It has electric start and a decent suspension.

If she is just "going along" with the idea then you will want to minimize the aggravation and make it as easy on her as possible. If she isn't likely to attempt steep hills, hit the whoops hard or ever put the suspension to the test then she might be better off on "off road" bike like the Yamaha TTR-230.

Rod

hforo

Apr 17, 2008
Haha... no she does not know I posted her weight on the internet, but it's kind of pertinent for this....and yeah she's tall :)

Thank you for the info, what do you think about one of the 450 4-strokes for me?

Apr 30, 2007
I would have to say the 450 4-stroke would be the right choice for you!

I have to agree with Rod, your wife has the height for a 250. However the "tall" stance might be a little intimidating at first. If she is really excited about the idea...then go with the 250. If she is a little reserved or a little unsure, then go with a 230 model.

Honda has a fantastic little electric start 230, (CRF 230F) that (I believe) has better suspension, a little better power? and less weight for the engine size.

I wanted to get a 230 model quite badly, but as a racer (even being "funsize" at 5'2"), I know the 230 isn't made for the type of riding I like to do.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I wouldn't go with an mx bike. Look into the crf-x or wr's. Both have 250 and 450 available and will be capable of the occasional track duty. They are also e-start. I believe the crf250x is just a bit heavier than the 230. I would go and have her sit on both and see what she feels most comfy on. Good luck!

Apr 30, 2007
Yesterday (thanks to my cabana boy) I went and sat on a few different bikes.

TTR 230 - Don't do it.

CRF 230X - Better...at 5'2" I was tiptoeing it...but it will be too small for your woman's frame. I would have to guess that it'd last a month (or less) before she'd want bigger faster better.

CRF 250X (I sat on the racing model too) (or buy a used F model that doesn't have the mirrors and other stuff...) I couldn't touch. Even reaching my toes down, well they were at least a good two inches from the floor. The dealers were laughing at me because I wanted it :rotfl: ...But your wife shouldn't have any problems unless she's scared of resting halfway between flatfoot and tiptoes.

Hope that helps out some...

hforo

Apr 17, 2008
Update :)

Thanks for all the info guys, just a little update... We went and looked and bikes, and she decided she'd be a lot more comfortable on 4 wheels... so we started looking around and we got a great deal on a 2004 TRX450R... We've gone riding twice and she's learning the clutch/shifting well and having a blast...

As for me, as of last night I'm the proud new owner of a brand new 2007 CRF450X... I got a smokin deal and took it out last night for the first ride...

Couple observations:

This bike has gobs of power, I never even really hit the throttle hard.

I need a lot of practice (lol)... granted, I haven't been on a bike in 8 years or so, I think I did ok for my first time out.

This bike is going to be a ton of fun once I get some hours in :)

Thanks again for your suggestions!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
hforo said:
. . . she decided . . . on a 2004 TRX450R... We've gone riding twice and she's learning the clutch/shifting well and having a blast...

As for me, as of last night I'm the proud new owner of a brand new 2007 CRF450X... I got a smokin deal and took it out last night for the first ride...
Please tell me you guys got the requisite helmets and gear, too.

Enjoy your new rides!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom