first day on a dirt bike!!! a few questions

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
hi everyone, today i bought my first dirt bike, a huskey cr 125 2002. i had a blast riding it today (although i never got out of third). I had a few questions. First when i had the clutch in after i started it and i shifted into first, it kinda jumped foward a very little bit, (makes me think that it is bad for the transmission), the guy i bought it from just put a new clutch cable on it this morning. So i figured out how to adjust the cable but i don't know how tight to make it. What is the rule of thumb here?
I accidentally started it with the muffler plug in once, any harm from that?

What regualar maintenance should i do to the bike? (stuff like every ride or every few hours)

And what oil/gas ratio should i use for this bike?
thanks,
nick

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
huskey89 said:
First when i had the clutch in after i started it and i shifted into first, it kinda jumped foward a very little bit,
My bikes usually do that and no harm ever done.
huskey89 said:
So i figured out how to adjust the cable but i don't know how tight to make it. What is the rule of thumb here?
You want a little play in your handle before it starts to pull cable: about 1/8" or so
huskey89 said:
I accidentally started it with the muffler plug in once, any harm from that?
If there were, we'd all be looking for new parts. Shouldn't harm anything.
huskey89 said:
What regualar maintenance should i do to the bike? (stuff like every ride or every few hours)
Clean and adjust chain periodically; clean and oil filter ever few rides; change transmission oil ever couple of rides (about 8-hours of running for me); eyeball everything before every ride; After about 20 hours or riding, it is a good idea to pull the cylinder and visually inspect the piston, cylinder and rings and measure them.
huskey89 said:
And what oil/gas ratio should i use for this bike?
You're always pretty safe with 32:1

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
I'd urge caution on the pre-mix...check the product label. Anymore, there are alot of concentrated oils out there and often, they recommend 40:1 to 50:1 ratios...some are even higher.

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
flying flea said:
A Husqvarna CR 125? Isn't a CR honda?

Nah, Husky makes a CR...maybe it's made, now...I really haven't kept-up. Husky always used to make 3 models in each class...the CR, WR and OR. The CR was for MX, the WR was more for CC & Enduro and the OR, was pretty much a desert sled. As I recall, according to the old mfgr's literature, the designations denoted the tranny...i.e. Close Ratio, Wide Ratio and Open Ratio. Honda didn't start using CR, until the Elsinores...the '73 CR250 was first, the CR125 came in '74.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
another thing that i noticed that i forgot to mention was that on the swing arm, right side, the weld before the bearing where the rear axle is, was definitively rewelded. the weld looks to be in pretty good shape. what could have caused this and is it necessarily bad? worst comes to worst in a few years i need to get a new swing arm. how much does one cost?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Chrome moly swingarm? Maybe not that expensive, if you can find a decent one.

Based on the pics I just looked at, it's not chrome moly, it's aluminum.. Looks pricey to me.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
could it possibly be rewelded? also my brother turned it over on its side today. what should i check for to see if he did any damage? besides scrapping up the hand guards.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It was probably just an ugly weld from the factory..

How hard did your brother lay it down? These bikes are designed to take a good amount of abuse before you really have to worry about much.

But, I'd look at the radiator on the side he dropped it on, and anything else under the plastic that could have gotten bent.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
well it is definitely not an ugly weld from the factory, it was definitely at one time broke completely. the weld looks like it was a home job and it is only one one half of the swing arm, outer side. Could a professional do a good job reweldding this?

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
and he was starting out on gravel going down hill, gave it way too much gas, lost control and he went one way and the bike another, i was quite pissed. the plastics got pretty scratched up. ill check the radiator and stuff tomorrow in the light.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
huskey89 said:
well it is definitely not an ugly weld from the factory, it was definitely at one time broke completely. the weld looks like it was a home job and it is only one one half of the swing arm, outer side. Could a professional do a good job reweldding this?

Sure, if it makes you feel more secure, by all means, have a reputable welding shop fix it up for you.

I'd hate to have to ride something thinking the rear wheel was gonna fly off.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
How sure are you its a repair? Are there any visable cracks? There are some places you can ask about used parts. I would bet that europe would be an easier used parts market.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
i am 100% it is a repair, and the weld looks like it is cracking, not good. good idea with the europe market, got any sites?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have had issues with UK websites, some sort of different language? Local to me are Halls, real good guys. Put a lot of e mails out to the parts scavengers. They hear you need parts, one disappears somewhere. MAY try like an overlay patch, take it to someone specializing in welding aluminum. Its broke now, so what the heck?

Top Bottom