youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
Just bought the bike and doing general maintenance (oils, setting shocks, learning the bike, etc.). I had a street bike and had it jetted and did dyno. Should I do the same with a dirt bike? With it getting colder, any good information would be great. I plan on riding thru the winter months and wonder how much should be done for the colder riding.

I plan on doing trail riding and changing the sprocket to a 48 tooth, yes/no ? Bike came with the original 50 and a Sidewinder 52 tooth sprocket. Has gold chain already (heard this was a must). What are first "must" that need or should be done?

Is 92 octane a must or can 87 do fine?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Check your valve clearance and check it often. Also, change your oils often. Make sure your air filter is clean and oiled and properly seated. Go through your manual and it will tell you what to check and how to check it. I wouldn't worry about jetting or dyno work unless the bike is not fast enough for you. That usually isn't a problem with the 450's. The thumpers are not as sensitive on jetting as a two stroke and don't seem to mind being a little off and are not as sensitive to altitude changes.

If you run in tight woods conditions, I would stick with the larger sprocket. It will give you lower gearing for the tight stuff. If you need more top end, go with the smaller sprocket. In regard to fuel, use the highest octane you can find.

Just my $ .02

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
Yep, the highest you can get (usually 92 or 93 around here). If the 50 tooth is on it now i would try that first and see if you think the gears need to be lower. If they do, then switch to the 52. If you put on a 48, it will only make the problem worse.

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
The fewer the teeth, the more low end power usage correct? 48 would be good for hills and short burst correct. 52 is for top speed I thought.

The service manual is crazy on how often to change and check everything. I would be a weekend worrior. How often to check the valves would you say.

I am thinking about getting the trailtech Vapor speedometer. Can monitor the milage and hours of use this way.

Any one using it now?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
youngnbald said:
The fewer the teeth, the more low end power usage correct? 48 would be good for hills and short burst correct. 52 is for top speed I thought.

Other way around, less teeth on the rear = higher top speed and less torque.

As far as intervals every 3 hours or so for oil and every 20 hours or so for valve checks and you should be good to go. Get yourself an hour meter to track your hours.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Go big on the rear, premium fuel, at least. Use the manual for what its worth, then adjust to how you are using it, or how often. Get the carb dialed in. An 03, good luck on what the previous riders have done, or not done!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
BigSwole said:
If you bike is stock, you don't need high octane. 87 is fine. NEXT....

Awwww.....com'on, use the highest octane pump gas you can get. And I don't mean exotic, expensive fuels -- just the best that's commonly availabe at your local gas station.

Top Bottom