ragged claws

May 7, 2014
I just joined the forum and am posting my first question here. I'm an older man with a bit or arthritis in my ankles and feet. This makes walking any distance painful. I do like to go camping in the woods though, and need a way to get around on the trails. I don't want to race or compete at this stage in my life. I just need something that will haul my butt around, not be too big, and not need a trailer (thinking of a hitch carrier for my Tacoma). I'm leaning toward the Honda CRF 125F big wheel or the Yamaha TTR 125. Smaller would be better. I'm 67 years old, 5' 10" tall, and weigh about 220 lbs. Most of my height is in my torso so I have relatively short legs. I would feel more comfortable on a bike that would allow me to have both feet flat on the ground in most riding situations.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
Hey Kim
The 125's might be a little underpowered for your size, I would check into a yamaha TTR 250 or perhaps the Honda 230
Good Luck to you
Steve

ragged claws

May 7, 2014
Hey Kim
The 125's might be a little underpowered for your size, I would check into a yamaha TTR 250 or perhaps the Honda 230
Good Luck to you
Steve

Thanks for the advice, Steve. I bought a bike before I read your post. I got a Yamaha TTR110. It's definitely small but it allows me to have both feet flat on the ground. It's also relatively light which makes it easier to transport and pick up off the ground. I'm going to have the rear shock spring and the fork springs replaced with stiffer BBR springs to help handle my weight. If I can survive the learning curve with this little bike, I might trade it in for a bigger bike sometime down the road.

Kim

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Kim:

I highly recommend that you abandon the 110 and buy a full size bike.

I really doubt that you can make proper adjustments to the 110 for your weight. It isn't just a matter of the spring, the shock valving has to be adjusted as well. If you double the force of the spring and don't double the rebound absorption in the shock then you will find you are riding a pogo stick!

Another issue is that the center of balance will be all off for your size. That bike is intended for a fairly short kid, not a full size adult. You have way too much weight sitting way too high on that bike. Small wheels, short wheel base, too much weight for the suspension is just asking for a trip over the handlebars.

Something like a TTR-230 would be a good bike for you. They have a seat height that is low enough that you shouldn't have any trouble putting your feet on the ground.

Rod

ridinabc

Jul 2, 2014
I just joined the forum and am posting my first question here. I'm an older man with a bit or arthritis in my ankles and feet. This makes walking any distance painful. I do like to go camping in the woods though, and need a way to get around on the trails. I don't want to race or compete at this stage in my life. I just need something that will haul my butt around, not be too big, and not need a trailer (thinking of a hitch carrier for my Tacoma). I'm leaning toward the Honda CRF 125F big wheel or the Yamaha TTR 125. Smaller would be better. I'm 67 years old, 5' 10" tall, and weigh about 220 lbs. Most of my height is in my torso so I have relatively short legs. I would feel more comfortable on a bike that would allow me to have both feet flat on the ground in most riding situations.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim
best option is to take a 250 four stroke and put 80cc wheels on it
also a thumb thottle is awesome too.

SupermotoFan

Nov 26, 2005
Kim, when I read your first post, the first bike I thought of was the TTR125LE (Electric start). I'm glad that you found a bike, and I think the hitch carriers are awesome (had one for my RM250 on a Cherokee).

See ya on the trails!

Top Bottom