First Engine Oil Change (and brake fluid change)

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Im going to my first engine oil change on my Honda (I only rode it twice since I got it since its the winter) and I need some advice. First, is this oil ok? Its "Savings Plus" 10W-40 oil and it has SL, SJ rating things on it. The manual recommends 10W-40 oil with an SF, SG rating thing. Will the oil I have work or will I need to find a different kind (and where can I find it)? Can anyone give me any tips/advice on doing an oil change?

Im also doing a brake fluid change because the front brake is alittle sticky (it wont release immediately after you release the lever). Will fresh fluid help this at all? Also, I could only find DOT 3 but it says I can use DOT 3 or 4. Is one better or does it not matter?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
As for your oil, I'm not sure what those letters stand for but i'm sure someone will tell ya. I always use ATF type F for my gear oil. Very cheap and works great, can it anywhere that sells oil normally. Dot 3 will be fine for your brake, thats what i normally use. Good Luck

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Does the whole bottom end use the same oil or does the clutch side and the other side use 2 different oils?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Should use the same oil, do you have to oil holes or something? If not the oil should go in on the clutch side

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
No, theres only 1 hole. When you said gear oil, I thought you meant the right side with all the transmission stuff and not the clutch side.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Oil, I'm no expert but if the manual says SF or SG, I'd find it. The SF/SG are oil modifiers and could damage your clutch plates. Use motorcycle specific oils.

Brakes: I just went through this. I bled and bled with no success. The o-ring kit was cheap and easy to do with compressed air and a dental pick.

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Ok I changed it... I read that the SJ rating meant it was suitible for motorcycle engine oil changes. The SF, SG rating is outdated and thats why I couldnt find it. It was really easy to change it, I thought alot more work was involved.

I didnt bled/change the brake fluid because it looked like too much work and I was unsure if it would help

kxmike

Feb 2, 2005
if it says "savings plus" it is probably energy conserving oil. i dont think that is good for the clutch but dont count on this. oh if someone could explain to me wtf is the diffrence between dot3 and dot4 thanks

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
Dot 3 and 4 are similar oils, dot 4 has a higher temperature threshold. Either should be fine for your bike.

If the caliper is sticking a little bit you may want to take it off, get the piston out, and clean them up a little bit. There may be some dirt or corrosion in there causing this problem. . . . just FYI - if you do take the piston out, it's easier to do with the caliper still on the bike. Take off the front wheel, pump the brake, add some more fluid, pump the brake, add some more fluid etc. . .until the piston pops out.

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
My personal preference is too use common multiple viscosity engine oil, such as 10W30 or similar, easily found at Walmart, Pepboys, where ever. The idea is to change it often. If the tranny holds one litre of oil, it's really cheap to change it after every ride. You can get Walmart's house brand "SL" rated engine oil for less than $2 Canadian, per litre. I have been doing this for years and have yet to have a problem. It is my belief that "motorcycle" oils such as those marketed with the Honda logo, have anti-shearing additives as the oil will be broken down sooner going through the tranny gears. This same oil used in your typical automotive engine does not experience this type of shearing. Just change it lots and change it often. You can't beat clean oil. I read somewhere that if you changed the oil in your car engine everyday, the engine would darn near last forever. (the cost of the oil you were wasting would far exceed the cost of replacing the engine many times over). That being said, my point is, good clean "Walmart" oil is better than 3 month old, 10 rides later,
Honda motorcycle oil.

This just my opinion, might all be c r a p :uh: , but it works for me.

Keith

Top Bottom