first for 4 and 6 year old boys

zcjb

Feb 25, 2008
Hi All. Just found this site. It rocks! I'm trying to determine what dirt bike(s) to buy my 4 and 6 year old boys. Maybe you all can help me with some informed advice?

My decision seems to center around the following... Do I need to spend the $$$ to buy a top brand such as Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki? Or can I buy a cheaper (probably Chinese) one that will last for 2 or 3 years? Does anyone know of a good "cheap" brand? I've seen Baja Motorsports - any comments?

1) physical size (both height and weight are important)
both have height and weight in the 40s. but growing fast.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
not aggressive.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
will ride in the yard and at our cabin. lots of room at the cabin, but also lots of hills. big hills. Will a 50 climb steep hills?

4) Do you have any riding experience?
No. will be their first time on anything beyond a Powerwheels Jeep. And a bicycle.

5) Do you think you will race ?
no. at least, certainly not with this first bike

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes. used to race motocross when i was a kid.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
4 stroke. I like Yamaha the best.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes. Plenty close by.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
less than $750.

10) Do you live in California?
no.

11) Your age?
4 and 6.

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
see above.

Thanks in advance!

hip66

Dec 28, 2007
Bikes for kids

Hello,

I have boys 4,6,8. I researched on this site and others and made the decision to buy standard brands vs Chinese knockoffs for the following reasons:

1. Parts availability
2. Overall quality- may have the same engine but the components etc. are better quality on the standard brands. Assembly of the standard brands seems to have better attention to detail as well.
3. Resale on the standard brand bikes is good, i.e. use them for a few years and then sell them for a few/couple hundred less than you bought them for. You can also find great used bikes for sale like I did that will be grown out of long before they are worn out.

Most importantly, as we know, motorcycling is inherently dangerous. I want the piece of mind that my most precious thing in this world- my kids- are as safe as possible on them from the start, I feel better with them on quality-proven name brands vs knockoffs. Saving a few hundred bucks a bike wasn't worth it to me. Also loaded them up with the right safety gear from the start- helmet/protectors/boots etc.

As far as a 50 on hills, fitting the kid to the bike is the first step, then go from there.

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom