First light - UFO Firefly Light ON TTR230

Jun 17, 2008
Hi there guys!
I have a UFO Firefly Blue light for my Yamaha TT-R230. I’m hoping they are a good blue color match?!

This is my first dirt bike ( loving it ) and my first light! The specs say it is a 12V35watt light. I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

1. Is 12V35watts light enough to get me home in the dark?

2. How long will the battery last approximately running from my TT-R230 battery when on?

3. It mounts on the bike using straps from what have read – thoughts on this method of mounting – seems to be a good idea as it will be a little more isolately from vibration and bumps/impacts etc… What do you guys think?

4. My local Yamaha shop will be install the light for me when it arrives. I’ve also requested a handlebar switch for it that they will also install. Is it best to put the light switch on the left side of my handles bars ( I can switch it on then with my left hand without stopping or releasing the throttle?).

5. What are your thoughts on the UFO Firefly head light? Do you think it will work on and look good ( good color match ) with my Yamaha blue TT-R230?

THANK YOU in advance for any replies guys, I appreciate your time.

Thank you again.

Jun 17, 2008
Anyone able to provide some notes if they have a few mins and experience.

PS sorry for all of the newbie questions guys.

Thank you in advance for replies.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The proper way to do lights is by running it off of a lighting (or charging) coil. The lighting coil is built into the ignition stator unit.

Using this method there will always be adequate power to run the lights, and you don't run into dead battery situations.

If your bike has a battery then it likely has some form of a charging coil already. I'm not familiar enough with the TTR-230 to know if it's adequate to run a 35w light. The service manual should give some specs on the output.

Companies like Ricky Stator and Electrex USA can probably provide that info as well.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
The service manual should give some specs on the output.
Companies like Ricky Stator and Electrex USA can probably provide that info as well.

Rich is correct. Your service manual will give you the wattage output for your bike. A 35 watt light should work ok. If the headlight has a normal 35 watt bulb you may want to change it out for a 35 watt quartz bulb. A quartz bulb will give you a much better light.

Jun 17, 2008
UFO Light on TTR230 - Update:

Hey there guys!

Ok. The installation was pretty good. My local shop installed and wired it up for me.

It is belted on the forks using rubber straps (which helps elevate vibrations). The fit was ok, but I've noticed that some of the cables (front brake) are in a position to become chaffed - when the shocks compress the cables will seem to rub the frame/side of the light assembly.

As for being bright enough and using it at night - Well, it is a 12v 35watt bulb, stock from UFO. I was worried that it was totally drain the battery, be dim and go dim shortly into my ride. However, I was very surprised!!!! :)

To test my cool new headlight on my TTR230 I headed out for a ride at sunset!! It was a beautiful evening and did some riding on some coast line trails. I switched my UFO Firefly light on as the sun went down over the hills, then I was on my way!

I did a number of things to test the light, including:

1) I would stop and idle the bike for 4-5mins with the light on all the time. (testing at low rpm where the stator is likely not charging the battery at this time)

2) I would ride in first and second for a few mins, just slowing riding along the trail watching the darkness set in, light shining my way.

3) I would ride at med to fast speeds on the stable areas of the trail - 3rd or 6th gear, not crazy fast, but just riding along.

4) Three times ( 15 or 20mins apart ) I would find myself on top of a hill - perfect place to do a bump start IF I needed to. I totally powered down the bike, turned the light off..... waited a min and then fired her up again using the electric start! Worked GREAT, the battery was not dead and the quality of light to my eyes didn't dim at all compared to when I turned it on initially. I did however, notice that while the light is turned on AND I tried starting, the light dimmed slightly. So, I guess it is best to start with the light turned off ( I have a light switch (on/off) mounted on the handle bars also ).

So, I found 3 hills I tried this on. I didn't have to coast down the hill and bump start at all, the battery was fine and didn't show any signs of stress or low battery signs.

Also note that the dealer wired my light into the ignition switch, so if the ignition switch is OFF, the light is also OFF, I like that. ( I have a light switch (on/off) mounted on the handle bars also ). It is black and red and looks like it is right from the factory!! :)

So, basically, as I understand it, the stator in my TTR230 charges the battery to optimal condition once the rpms are 3000rpm or above. Between my 3rd-6th gear riding and the idling I was doing with the light on the entire time the light has been working great! Some good light (it's not an end all be all headlight, but for sure it is well worth the money and allows for some night driving and it will get you home from a sunset, deep in the woods in the dark etc....

As such, I varied my speed ( and rpms ) a good range and did pretty much 'normal' trail riding.

I could go on more, but basically I did some good riding for 1.5 hours on my TTR230 with my cool new FireFly UFO light with still NO SIGN OF THE LIGHT DIMING. It works good and it seems pretty reliable to me! I think the trick is to turn it off when it is not being used (having it on a switch and hooked into the ignition is a good idea!) and actually riding with the light on (not just sitting idling) helps the battery maintain a charge.

There are not a lot of adjustments to be made on the light. I did position it a little pointed down rather then 'out' into the trail. I found this better for me and my riding in the pitch black.

In general I did slow down my riding a little in the dark of course, not sure if there would be any bunny rabbits or moose jumping out in the trail!

All in all I had a great time testing my light, it seems to be working very well. Just need to focus on the cables and maybe layer some form or cloth over the front brake cable as to avoid chaffing on the light frame.

TTR230DeanParsons_MoonLight_UFOFireFlyHeadLight.jpg

TTR230DeanParsons_UFOFireFlyHeadLight.jpg

Hope that helps, thanks for listening.
Cheers.

Jun 17, 2008
Hey there guys, just wanted to share a couple shots of me testing my UFO head light on my TTR230!!

Here is the trail in just about pitch black with the head light off:

TTR230DeanParsons_UFOHeadLight_OFF.jpg

Here is the trail in just about pitch black with the head light ON:
TTR230DeanParsons_UFOHeadLight_ON.jpg

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

Retna

Apr 28, 2009
Hi sorry to bump this thread. But groundeffect_db I was just curious how the guys who wired your headlight did so. did they do it to the battery or the stator or what? I ask because I have a 2009 TTR230 and I'm trying to figure out what all I need and how to wire the Acerbis Dimension Headlight I got onto it.

Top Bottom