First MX bike

lang20

Feb 7, 2010
New to mx

About 5'7" 145lbs .mostly mx tracks. Looking to spend about 1000-1500 used. New to riding 14 years old.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

This info won't guarentee a perfect bike choice but it will sure stear the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

lang20

Feb 7, 2010
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5' 7" 145
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty agressive. Like to get air
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? MX/SX tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience? very little on a friends bike
5) Do you think you will race ? eventually
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? No
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Nope
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes. Everything.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 1000-1500 used
10) Do you live in California? NOpe
11) Your age? 14
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion Nope

This info won't guarentee a perfect bike choice but it will sure stear the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

lang20

Feb 7, 2010
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5' 7" 145
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty agressive. Like to get air
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? MX/SX tracks
4) Do you have any riding experience? very little on a friends bike
5) Do you think you will race ? eventually
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? No
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Nope
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes. Everything.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 1000-1500 used
10) Do you live in California? NOpe
11) Your age? 14
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion Nope

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Based on your size, the budget and type of riding any of the 2 stroke 125's would be a good starting point. I like the CR125, YZ125, RM125 then KX125 in about that order. Other's will have a different opinion. The most important thing is to get a bike in good mechanical condition and workky about the plastic and bling later on after you are done dropping it as much.

lang20

Feb 7, 2010
Thanks alot. I've been talking to this guy with an 85 big wheel. DO you think I would be to big for that ? And would the suspension even hold me.

Thanks, nate.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
You'll likely find an 85 cramped. With the bike wheel it MIGHT be tall enough to make sense, but the "cockpit" will feel quite small. The stock suspension will likely be much to soft for your weight, as well.

I'm 5'4", 145 lbs and have been riding 125s (and now 250f's) since 2005. I had the same question as you when I got back into riding in 2005 at age 33.

Get the bigger bike and lower it - either suspension lowering (which costs $$) or cutting the subframe or cutting the seat foam - or all of the above.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
For the price, you're going to have to find a REALLY good deal on a 250f or find a 125. From what I've read on here, many "cheap" used 250f's have or can have serious problems waiting to happen.

The 125 is probably a better choice for you in your situation - I rode one from 05 to 09 and now I'm on the 250f.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I agree, the BW85 wouldn't like your 145lbs. You'll find a 125 a bit tall at first but you'll get used to it, especially on the track. I DO NOT recommend a 1500 dollar 250f unless you can budget about 1000 bucks up front for motor work. A 125 is much cheaper to rebuild and the resale value is lower which makes it a better choice for most low budget beginners. Don't worry about it not be as "fast" as a 250f. A 125 is plenty capable of beating a 250f at a novice level. 90% rider 10% bike........

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Rich is vertically challenged yet had MXTech modify his suspension on every bike he's had to make it easier to reach the ground and not give up much along the way.

An 85 will be too small very soon if it isn't today. Don't buy the bike based on your size today because you are still growing and should be well oversized for and 85 by end of summer.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…