Aug 18, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)5'6 127lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? pretty aggressive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with
friends or ????? tracks, trails , wherever.

4) Do you have any riding experience? yes

5) Do you think you will race ? yes

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your
own bike work? no

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or
4 stroke)? probably honda or yamaha. no preferance for motor

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes. suzuki, honda, and yamaha

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? about $7000

10) Do you live in California? yes, but why do you ask.

11) Your age?15

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion? this will be my first MX bike and i want to race. :ride:

Jan 3, 2007
Sahinoz, a CRF450 is a horrible bike to suggest for a rider that weighs 127lbs (no offence) and its not what you perfer its what he wants.

SG92, a KTM 144SX, 250SX-F, YZ250F, CRF250R, RM-Z250, or KX250F would do you great. the cheapest rout would be the 144 and it would be cheaper in the long run as well. Any of these bikes would make a good first time MXer.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I agree... a 450 would be a handful for a 5'6"/127 lbs. 15 year old with little experience on a MX bike. Not a good suggestion!

If you want a 4-stroke, I would suggest a 250F (good: easier to ride, smoother power, most MX racers are on 4-strokes, bad: heavier/sometimes harder to start, a little harder to work on, can cost more to maintain if you have a full engine failure). If you're thinking Honda or Yamaha, I think both the CRF250 and YZ250F are great bikes.

If you want a 2-stroke, I would suggest a 125/144 (good: lighter, easier to start, easier to work on, engine internals are cheaper, bad: harder to ride, power is more on/off, typically not as competitive against the 250F's). I would suggest a YZ125/144, or KTM144SX.

Keep in mind at 5'6", yout probably won't be able to touch flat footed on a 125/144/250F.... so the bike might feel a little tall at first, but you will get used to it over time.

Jan 3, 2007
nikki, i think that the whole competitive race between 125s and 250Fs arent that bad. Like today i was at the track and my buddie Jay grew up on 4 strokes when racing but, for his first time today he jumped on my friends RM125 and put in better lap times on that then his RM-Z250 that is setup for his weight and style. I think the way he rides his 250F dose not utalize the bottom end grunt it has witch made him faster on a 125 because of the top end. Anyway, most riders are faster on 250Fs and they are much eaiser to ride.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
synestergates92 said:
1)
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with
friends or ????? tracks, trails , wherever.

10) Do you live in California? yes, but why do you ask.

11) Your age?15

The reason we ask is because California has the strictest restrictoins on bikes. You should become familiar with the California "Green" and "Red" sticker issues. Look here for some online information:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvredgreen.htm

To summerize the issue down: All off road vehicles in California need to be registered. Bikes made in 2003 and later have additional restrictions on them and will be assigned the "Red" sticker if they do not meet the EPA requirements. The red sticker basically restricts the season that you can ride (pretty much destroys it).

Many of the MX bikes and all of the two strokes are not eligible for a green sticker (unless they were made before 2003). This is obviously an issue if you want to both race and ride trails. If all you wanted to do was race it wouldn't be much of an issue as the closed courses are exempt from the registration requirements.

Rod

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
CRF 450 ha. WAY TO BIG. I weigh about 190lbs and I ride a 125. 450 is absolutely not the right bike for you. As someone said already the 125 will still be tall but you'll get used to it. I suggest a 125. enjoy

Grensjos

Sep 12, 2007
i am 18, about 5' 8" and 130, i bought a 04 yz250f early this summer and have been riding it atleast three times a week. still to much for me to handel!!! go with the four stroke!!! i love it like nikki said above...you wont be able to stand flat footed, but you will get used to it

Top Bottom