larger

Jul 23, 2006
I'm 31, and wanted a dirt bike since i was 12. Read this magazine up until about the time tom webb moved on, then life got in the way. But now i have some free time and more importantly discretionary income.

So, going by the book:
1. 6'5" 240 pounds
2. Physical, but at least with my mountain biking i am on the conservative side of being moderate on the aggressive spectrum. Or, i prefer to spend most of the time in contact with the ground.
3. Looking for a dual sport. By time, probably 50% on roads, 50% on trails. Looking to do 12 mile commute each way 5 days a week weather permitting, along with hitting the trail parks out here on weekends. Logging roads. And at least once a year, hitting some OHV areas in south idaho and colorado. Mostly just tame illinois riding though.
4. I got my motorcycle license this spring and have been riding a borrowed virago. No offroad motorcycle experience at this point, although single track and rocks on a mountain bike isn't a stranger to me. Going to have to give the yamaha back at the end of the month, and cruisers just aren't my thing.
5. No intention to race, although enduro has always looked like a lot of fun.
6. Will be doing my own work. Spun wrenches on my GTO (which i sold to buy this motorcycle). Just need more metric sockets and a shop manual...
7. 4 stroke (and street legal or capable of being made street legal in illinois).
8. KTM, suzuki, husky, husebaberg, honda, yamaha, etc dealers nearby. Probably near anything is on the table. No loyalty to a specific dealer yet.
9. Looking to spend 5-6K OTD on just the bike, or less. New.

Concerns. I need something that can hit 65+ without straining, as commuting will be a major portion of the mileage i put on it. I'm aware of how much air that will be in my face, but 10 minutes on the interstate with proper clothing is bearable. But i need something that won't be too much of a handful on dirt roads (and trail riding when the skills get there). I want something i won't outgrow this summer, and hopefully will keep being fun for 8-10 years.

The DRZ400S is pretty tempting, but would i be better off with more or less CCs? Not sold on a brand or a bike yet, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

elliot-cr133

Uhhh...
Jul 4, 2006
My friend has a DRZ400S and he hit 140KM/H on the highway with me on the back. It is a very fast bike, I think it'd suit you perfectly. As long as you knew how to control the throttle and stuff you'd be fine.

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
xxBLAZExx said:
Check out the new KTM Adventure series..Also I hear you can pick up a pretty sweet kit for the EXC models. (brake light switch,headlight,etc.) :cool:

http://www.ktm.com/Home.152.20.html

I would check out the new KTM's (2007 models), the new Dual sport Huskies. With all due respect to elliot-cr133 the Suzuki weighs as much a as Sherman Tank. I'm sure it is a good on rode machine, but when it comes to dirt you might be disapointed.
Good luck to you.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom