olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
(Sigh, yes, I know. Duly noted. Go gentle.) :(

I changed the oil & filter on my dr200se today. The oil filter did NOT come with new O-rings. I reused the filter cover O-ring. Prior to putting the filter in I wiped out the filter holding area. I did NOT note an inner O-ring, nor did I expect to encounter one, on first blush reading of my manual.

HOWEVER... in fine print... the manual says Note: blah blah blah... and a reference to both cover O-ring (#6), cover spring (5) and a mysterious number 7 O-ring, which I never encountered.

Should I be purchasing these rings each time I buy a filter? And what about the one that was never there? (Yes, I inspected the old filter looking for it. No, I haven't redrained the oil, taken out the new filter, and re-inspected to see if it is fastened tight around the opening, and I somehow missed it on my first inspection.)

Thanks in advance.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i don't replace O-rings each time i change oil - however, i do inspect closely at disassembly and replace if any has any nicks, compression marks, or has hardened from heat/oil contact. (also check for leaks at first heat cycle)

i wonder if that is the rubber O-ring that is typically attached to the filter itself? check your old filter and see if it still has a rubber part attached - also check a new one and see if it is there.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
tnrider said:
i wonder if that is the rubber O-ring that is typically attached to the filter itself? check your old filter and see if it still has a rubber part attached - also check a new one and see if it is there.

I did this latter step. There is neither one on the old or the new. Nor laying around on the oil pan, or on my rag or on the ground.

Near as I could guess if it is really there it might have been referring to something that fit around the piece that the filter sets around. (I find it odd that an oil filter does just sit loosely around something like that, my only experience being with car oil filters. Seems like I should have been screwing something in or it should be sealing tight. Tomorrow I'll pop over to the Suzuki dealer and quiz them. I opened two brand new filters just to be sure as I could be under the circumstances. I really do not believe there was ever one there.

Push comes to shove I'll drain it all out and look once more around the little piece that the filter fits loosely around. I sure didn't see anything the first time.

(My bike also takes a lot more oil to fill than the manual recommends, so... I've been told on this forum not to take the manual as complete gospel?)

Thanks also for your comments on how often to replace those o-rings and what to look for.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
update: So, I talked to the Suzuki dealer. He said the- O-ring should be on the filter. We went through the same routine I went through, opening multiple boxes to note "yup, there really isn't an o-ring on the filter there."

Then we looked at the schematics....(His slightly different than my manual, but, still yup, His computerized version also says it is supposed to be there.)

His conclusion: Oh, it's probably around the protusion that the filter sets around.

So there ya go. :whoa: ?? :think:

Top Bottom