gsxrk7

Apr 8, 2007
My first oil change on the bike since I got it (used).

I did a search on here and read up on alot of things and wanted to see if what I did was correct.

1. drained the oil out via the main drain plug

2. set the bike on its side and pulled the large screen and cleaned it (looked like no oil was inside it since I drained it) Now I couldnt find the smaller screen on the bottom but figured since the bigger one looks clean when I pulled it that the smaller one will most likely been clean aswell.

3. put the large oil screen back in then removed both caps on the large/small oil filter and removed them and sucked out the some of the old oil on the bottom of them and cleaned it out.

4. Filled them both half way (I filled one and it started to fill the other) and placed the new oil filters in and cleaned the o-rings and put lite oil on them and bolted them back up.

5. Stood the bike back up and filled her up

The only question I have is I was using the clear glass to check the oil when the bike was standing up and its a little under the top of it and almost covering the entire screen. (engine was warm and manual says it should be about here when its warm) I also checked the dipstick and noticed there are 2 "notches" on it and the oil level is right at the 2nd notch.

Thing is when the motor is cold the oil level on the clear screen stays about the same level as it is when its warm.

I dont wana risk blowing any seals and was curious if I did this correctly?

This is pretty much my first oil change on a dirt bike and wanted to make sure I did it right and not risk internal damage.

Greatly appreciated gent's

P.S I will let it sit for awhile and get cold and double check the clear glass but I think the oil will be about the same level.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The marks on the stick and the window represent the minimum safe and maximum safe levels. As long as you're somewhere inbetween, you're within the safe level. Running in the middle is no safer than running at the top or near the bottom.

You don't need to be that precise, either. Your engine isn't going to lock up if you're 50cc off on the oil fill. Heck, it will probably run fine with less than 2/3rds what it should have. I'm not suggesting you do this, but I am saying that if you get it within 50cc's of your mark or so, you'll be fine.

gsxrk7

Apr 8, 2007
76GMC1500 said:
The marks on the stick and the window represent the minimum safe and maximum safe levels. As long as you're somewhere inbetween, you're within the safe level. Running in the middle is no safer than running at the top or near the bottom.

You don't need to be that precise, either. Your engine isn't going to lock up if you're 50cc off on the oil fill. Heck, it will probably run fine with less than 2/3rds what it should have. I'm not suggesting you do this, but I am saying that if you get it within 50cc's of your mark or so, you'll be fine.

Much appreciated for the advice,

I was just worried that I might of put to much oil in it and blow some seal's.

The window is almost full but not all the way full, new to all of this and am trying to learn as much as possible and reading threw the owner manual but it doesnt give to much detail on it.

gsxrk7

Apr 8, 2007
double check it today with a cold motor and the oil level in the class is almost full but not all the way.

Manual confuses me a bit, says with a cold motor the oil level in the glass should be visible at the bottom.

But with a warm motor the oil level should be visible at the top of the glass.

I know on my suzuki that the oil is low on a cold motor but after it warms up the level comes up.

Prior to filling it with more oil (ktm) I filled it up to the bottom of the glass on a cold motor and fired it up and let it get warm and checked again and the oil level stayed about the same so thats when I added more.

Your right, im probably over doing it and the bike will be fine but the manual kind of confuses me a bit and wana be sure I did it correctly.

Top Bottom