first post and yz 250 question.....

hb22man

Jul 7, 2007
hello everybody,
i am new here and have a question or two (well ill probably have more then that) about a 1991 yz 250. i currently do not own a bike and im looking to buy one. my budget is really low, and i came across a yz 250 for 1300 obo. it runs and says it has a chip in the crankcase. i do not know if the chip in the crankcase is a serious problem or not, so can anyone provide me with a little more insight on this? there is also an rm 250 up for offers, so i figure ill shoot him an offer. can anyone tell me more about what to look for when buying an older used bike? im pretty much set on buying something 250 2 stroke, im not super experienced on dirtbikes but im a bigger guy (6 foot 220 lbs) so something smaller, ive been told, will probably get boring fast. thanks for any help guys and any help much appreciated!

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I am not sure what the exchange rate of US to Canadian dollars is, but I wouldn't give U.S. $1300 for a 91 YZ 250. My buddy just picked up a 2001 RM 250 for $1500 and it's in awesome shape. If it "runs" good, and the crankcase isn't leaking from the chip, it may be worth ~$500.00+. You never know how much $$$ you will be investing in an older bike like that.

My .02.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Americans are crazy people and take major hits on the price they sell there bikes for. I paid 1500 for a 1989 YZ250 and had to put a top end and sprockets on it right away so save up a little more and just really take the time to look for a decent bike.

hb22man

Jul 7, 2007
yeah i think i will try and save a bit more money if it is not worht buying any bike right now for the price i can afford. this is the response i got for the chipped crankcase ( i dont really know what it means) "the chip just needs to be taken out of where the clutch line goes in then it needs to be sealed up" does tht make any sense and is it easily repairable?

mark808

Aug 22, 2006
i paid 1200 for my 96 kx250. it had a fresh rebuild (i know the guy so i know it was done) new plastic, and was in great shape.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Bike prices in Canada and US are not equivalent.. I believe they tend to cost a bit more in Canada. Chili can give you the straight dope on that sorta thing.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
kx125412 said:
Americans are crazy people and take major hits on the price they sell there bikes for. I paid 1500 for a 1989 YZ250 and had to put a top end and sprockets on it right away so save up a little more and just really take the time to look for a decent bike.
Hey, we're not all crazy! Just the majority of us. I believe our low resale value on bikes is due to the fact that most people are super cheap tightwads so people have to sell for less to get rid of a bike. I just sold my 02rm250 with lots of mods for 2k this spring, after I tried for 6 months to get 2500 for it. The market for used bikes in my area is terrible. The guy who bought my rm also just picked up a 94 cr125 for 400 bucks. It needed rear wheel bearings, but has 165psi comp, newer tires, sprockets and chain, bars, grips, and we painted the frame and cleaned it up.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
I just use e bay, and if there are no bids on a bike you email the person seeing if you can come and look at it. If you like it and everything appears to be good (don't forget to ride it) try to take him down in price a bit.

I ended up with a 1998 RM 125 for $900. You just can't give up looking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom