first post. looking to buy speedometer help

jjearl

Jul 19, 2008
looking to buy speedometer, help

hi, im looking to buy a GOOD, RELIABLE speedometer that clips onto the wheel. im looking to spend around 50-60 bucks on one! if the best one is 70-75$ then mabey. i dont want to go cheap and have it break on me either. i want as many functions as possible, gps function is not required for me. thank you for your help and please give me a link to the official website. thank you!! :nod:

Last edited:

jjearl

Jul 19, 2008
sorry, i meant Cyclocomputer.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
the trailtech computers are pretty much the standard around here. You can get the Endurance for 80 bucks. They are made for a dirtbike so they come with all the proper stuff to mount them.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am not sure what you mean by "clips onto the wheel".

The speedometers have three basic parts: There is the display "head", the sensor and the magnet.

The head unit usually clamps to the handlebars. The sensor has a cable that usually routes along the front brake line and fastens somewhere on the forks or brake caliper. The magnet has to fasten to the wheel itself.

If you purchase a TrailTech computer you can order one that is specific for your bike. The bike specific difference will be the magnet and possibly a bracket for mounting the sensor. A typical arrangment is for the kit to have a special bolt that has a magnetic head. This bolt replaces one of the bolts that hold the brake rotor on. The sensor then has to mount to either the fork or the brake caliper.

A generic kit would come with just a small magnet and some glue to attach the magnet somewhere near the hub.

I put a TrailTech Endurance unit on my wife's quad. It makes her happy, shows her how fast she is going and how far we have gone. It has other features that never get used. Be warned that the head unit is not very robust and doesn't survive bar bending crashes. You can buy aluminum guards for the Trailtech computers which cost as much as the computer itself.

Rod

Top Bottom