MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
My first race is next Saturday and im getting jidders bad. I think im ready but im still scared. I will be going with TT-R so I will know someone there that knows what there doing. Any advice for my first race? Even more than my messing up im afraid of someone else hitting me. Should I just hold my line through the race or what? I cant wait! Thanks guys

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Wow, good for you moO.

The only advise that I could give is to just hold your line. The fast guys will find their way around and the others, well, they are slower than you and if you just concentrate on what is in front of you, you will probably beat them.

Oh, and don't worry about the jitters, they NEVER go away.;)

Good luck!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Until you get good at coming out of the gate, I would either take a gate at the outside end (probably the right side if they haven't changed it), or position yourself with a gap on each side of you (if the gate isn't full). If you do get a poor jump out of the gate, the riders on each side of you will close in and pinch you off.

If you're up front (top 5) going into the first turn, the inside line will probably be the fastest. After that, people tend to bunch up and you can probably pass people on the outside (especially at Dirt Country).

As is the case when you are practicing, if you don't double something, hold a straight line so someone doesn't land on you because you moved under them. (On the Gravity Cavity, I'd take the far right on the inside since people doubling have too much speed to cut back inside.

Don't ride over your head. You can't pass anyone while your bike is on top of you. :) Also, picking up the bike is worth a half a lap of energy.

In between races go out and look for the smooth lines...DC will get some braking bumps going into the corners.

and lastly...make sure you post a race report afterwards!

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Hey goob I think that smile on that smilie was cause you like that bike on top of ya? :scream:

Good luck Moo and that advice should be used, stay outside on the start and if you get into the top 5 and are not comfortable, in a safe spot pull over and get used to blasting around with other riders your speed. You have a LONG time to race, don't mess it up the first time out, this means there isn't a dang thing wrong with being a litte careful and paying attention.

MX Madman

Oct 7, 2000
HOLD YOUR LINE!!!...also the outside gate is good advice.But most of all;the most important thing........is.........(are you ready?).......HAVE FUN!!!!! That is what this is all about!You have been on the track enough to know what you`re doing,so just go do it the best you can,and it will turn out fine!Good Luck and welcome to the club!:cool: Once you start to race,you cant stop:D
Also remember...races are won and lost in the courners,not the air!

Last edited:

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
I can race the 125 schoolboy class and the 125 C class. Should I do both or just the C class? I get to go practice with TT-R on Sunday at the track so I will know the general lay out of the track and what I can and can't jump. I cant wait for this! Im so excited! Thanks guys

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Down heah (SC), Schoolboy is basically another class for 125A and 125B to race. I would check to see if they have an Unlimited C/D class.

I usually race one class and ride the other. What I mean is I use one class to try different lines and have fun and really race the other. That way, whichever one I do worse in I can say, "IOh, well I was only riding that class, I was racing the other one1"

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Great Advice Everyone

only thing left

Have FUN Moo, do not let the geebieweebies stop you from riding relaxed.
Being your first race put this in your mind. You are out there to have fun,compete, and Finish.

I wish I would have finished my first race but I went at it completely wrong, I took off like a bat out of Ahem, and ended up DNFing but worse I could not ride for two weeks after.

I have learned to pace myself and ride my own race, as you go you can feel the ease coming to ya slowly, step it up a notch.

I think your worst enemy is tension ...stay lose, stay focused and keep us updated.

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
I to will be in the race with MoO_Cow, (I am tt-r, but changed my name) This will be my second race and from racing down at Daniel Boone 4-Stroke Nationals, I think this race maybe alittle taimer!:p As for MoO_Cow, he is very ready! We have been riding together at New Vienna working on sections. Wish MoO_Cow and I luck (considering that I am riding the tt-r250 modified!) I plan on entering the 125 c class, but MoO, if you want to run more than one class you will get very tired! and plus its another +15 bucks! We will be out on Sunday, at Dirt Country (as long as the weather holds) prac. and learning the jumps. Oh yea MoO, you cant ride around the all the jumps to another section like New Vienna hahahah You will have too do the whole thing!:) Peace

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
MoO,
For your first race, I would only sign up for one class. You will not believe how tired you are at the end of the day. From my experience, a day racing is much more tiring then a day riding! The other advise of holding your line, and having fun are great advise! Had a friend that took a trip to the hospital his first race! Wasn't seriously hurt, only rang his bell really good. Man did we give him a hard time about that for years! Anyway, don't do the same! A man's got to know his limitations! ;)

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Drink lots of water, hold your line, ignore the spectators, don't ride over your head, and oh yeah, have fun. Good luck Moo.... Keep us posted. :)

Andy

S

Saratoga

Get there early. Prep everything before you get there so all you have to do is sign up and check out the track. Watch a few starts so you know the gate and starting routine. Finally, do not think everyone is faster than you. You need to be at least a little aggressive so you do your best.

n1wrc

May 20, 2001
Moo- my advice to you would be jus to have as much fun as you can, finish, and learn as much as you can. In that order :-) The butterflies will dissapear after the gate drops- we've all been here before :-)..
Like many of us have said before- just have fun and finish Good luck to ya and keep us posted!!!

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
MoO and I were not able to race because of this stupid rain!!! It has been raining everyday for the past 3 weeks. We both are going to try and get out to the June 14th race. Check out our site

Top Bottom