laurenr21

Nov 26, 2012
hey everyone :)

I am a 19 year old girl who has road fourwheelers since I could walk! I started riding dirtbikes a couple years ago. Racing has ran in the family, but as daddy's little girl, I was always discouraged when racing was brought up. I recently have gotten my dad's support in this and would really like to begin racing this spring. I have a lot of track experience, so I don't think my first experience will be too bad. I was just wanting some advice on how to train this winter/early spring. Thanks!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Lots of cardio!!

Best of luck to you! Enjoy it, don't take it, or yourself too seriously, just have fun. There are going to be a lot of ladies half your age on half the bike putting in FAST laps. Just hang in there and keep smiling :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
A 30 minute run will seem easy compared to a 10-12 minute moto. I did my first race at age 38 and I thought I was in good shape(quopeous sarcasm!). Ride the track to YOUR ability. Don't let the excitement cloud your judgement and your abilities. Practice fundamentals, body position is very important and work to improve your corner speed. Like Okie posted, lots of cardio!
If you have not experienced arm pump, be prepared. The excitement of the first few turns and obstacles will make your muscles tense up especially in your forearms. You may want to do some arm curls with 2-5 lb weights and do LOTS of repetitions. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Apr 30, 2007
I raced once when I was 12 or 13. After that, my parents said that there was NO WAY I'd ever do that again so long as I lived under their roof. So I moved out at 18 and took my bike with me.

Turns out that I learned 3 lessons during my first race.

1 - No amount of working out (off of the track) will prepare you for the track itself, except for track time and/or saddle time.

2 - Hold your line! Even if you aren't being passed!

3 - Race your own race. If you start hitting jumps you're not comfortable with, just trying to pass or stay side by side with someone you're racing against, you'll bust it bad, and cross the finishline on a stretcher.

nehaali

Dec 3, 2013
I'm looking forward to giving the old KTM some love and a new battery and see what Minnesota trails bring. Hope everone's doing good

Top Bottom