First Races need help with starting

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Hi guys:

I just had my first three races the past week and a half. I entered 125D at my small local track, started in 5th, passed 4th and 3rd and finished 2nd out of 6. Funny thing - they did a staggered start for 125C and 125D and I didn't realize what was going on in the heat and rode with C. I stayed with those guys but couldn't pass to get out of last.

Then I went to a much larger track about an hour away this past Friday night. I entered Unlimited C/D and 125C. I think there were 9 bikes in each class. I finished 6th or 7th in both.

The primary reason I didn't place better was my starts - I was right on the 6th place guy's wheel at the finish, but I started in 7th or 8th both heats and both races.

I did manage to pass one or two people in these races, but the track was very tough - 100 yard start into 80 degree right hand turn into 100 yard steep uphill, etc . .

I need help with starting tips. I know I need to practice more, but what specifically do I look for and what should I practice.

And by the way, 125 riders - should I start in 1st or 2nd? I've been starting in 1st.

Thanks

Rob Bright

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
How much do you weigh? At my weight, I would have to start in 1st if I raced a 125.

On a long start like that, the bike's power becomes fairly important. Even getting a decent jump off the gate will still have stronger bikes passing you before the first turn.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You should be able to start in 2nd gear at 140. Also, never follow the person in front of you. If they go inside, go outside, etc. Following will never let you pass. Good luck.

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
For a 125 you may be able to get away with 2nd, but I would say to practice in a field with 1st and 2nd to see what seems faster.
My usual routine
1. keep bliping throttle to keep it cleaned out
2. check gas is on
3. put in gear
4. get as high on tank right up to the fill neck
5. right foot on bike, left on ground (had to say it)
6. finger on front brake
7. when the 1 min board comes get the clutch out so it is trying to engage
8. 30 sec (normally 5 second) board pin the throttle
9. be looking down over the bars at the gate, at the slightest let the clutch out half way quickly and ease out the rest to avoid wheelying, bring left foot to peg
10. As soon as the revs are ready for a shift nail the shifter and stand up simultaneously
11. keep your butt over the rear wheel to keep the most tracktion
12. find your line and hold it with your elbows firmly up (weaker riders beside you will drop back, but aggressive ones will rub elbows)
13. do not let off until you see the pack in your periphrial drop back slightly (they are braking)
14. sit down while braking, down-shifting and getting your leg way up in front by the brake
15. throw it in the 1st turn with the holeshot

I used to start nearly last until Jeff Yentzer (short time pro) explained all this I practiced starts over and over (don't forget to finish your practice in a loose tilled turn. We just used a field that we rotatilled a 5 foot wide strip into a turn and placed a barrel on the inside. Now I start near the front most of the time, it is my lack of riding time that kills me by lap 2 or 3.

Remember that the biggest factor in starts is who is least afraid to hold the gas open one second longer!

Stan

Top Bottom