BeeVictim

May 29, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'8", 155lb
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Very much so.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Woods for 8 months of the year, desert for the rest. I'm not throwing out the possibility of some MX/SX given my past history with vehicles.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Not really, just 30-40 hours on a PW80 quite a long time ago
5) Do you think you will race ?
Signs point to yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Absolutely, been through a full frame up rebuild of a car.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Two stroke, 99% positive on this.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
This is of no concern for me, I can get whatever.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
$2500 or so.
10) Do you live in California?
Arizona represent :)
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I sat on a YZ85 today at a dealer and it 'felt' great, for some reason the YZ125 felt really tall and big to me. Maybe I'm just inexperienced in bikes, hopefully you guys can help me out here - I'm just wondering if I should 'man up' and get a 125 or 250 rather than messing with something like a YZ85/KX100. I'll be buying used, but I did a little bit of research and found that the CR and RM bikes generally have the lowest seat height. Would it be possible to get a lower seat and drop the suspension maybe an inch? Any thoughts on what bikes to look at more closely?

I'm sorta reluctant to get a 250, but some people told me that they made ~5/4 the power of a 125, lasted longer, had a 'nicer' powerband, and were around the same price as a 125. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you guys for the help.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
I would say that a yz125 would be the best for a beginning bike for you. An 85 will probably have trouble moving your mass. :cool:

MX BATES

May 25, 2007
I think a yz125 would be great for you. It is a fast bike but also would be a good beginner bike for you and your size. Inless you wanna go with somthing a lil cheaper and a 4 stroke then go with a crf150.

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
try and find an older ktm 200 exc it will have more bottem end and be more fun to ride. still has a good snap up top but also has great bottem end. i love my 200 wouldnt change it for the world (just get more bikes instead :)

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
J-man, judging by you current bike i am going to assume you have yet to ride a 250 2 stroke. An 85 accelortes just about as fast as a 250 but after those first 3 or so gears the 250 would whip past it and keep going without missing a beat.
But when he has barely any riding experience, he doesn't need all the extra power that he will not use.

Sep 15, 2004
125's are meant to be run wide open or not at all.i would say start with a kdx 200,not the 220 both are still a two stroke and you can mod the 200 more than the 220....so it will grow with your riding abilities.My first bike was a kdx and let me tell you it is no slouch ...also bulletproof!!

Top Bottom