Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm a woods rider. I'm certainly no racer. I like bouncing over rocks, logs, and other various obstacles all while under the canopy of the forest.
My nephew Dave (some of you may have met him at DW) has moved away from woods riding and has taken up motocross. He and his boy David both have been racing all season in the NEMA series. Both have been doing pretty well.
Here's where I come in. Dave wanted to have me race with him for at least one stop in the NEMA series. I told him I would.

Well, yesterday was raceday. I, a C level mx rider, had to sign up for the GP class (A,B,C all in the same gate) because there was no other class for a 40+ rider to participate in if he didn't have a child racing.
My goal was to survive. I'm certainly in no shape for this type of riding. My practice leading up to the event consisted of 2.5 hours of stationary bicycling.

Practice-I managed two laps without killing myself. I realized I didn't know the track at all, and was leery of just blindly gassing it over a jump. It had rained the night before, so the track was muddy. I managed to dump and stall the bike once on the snottyist section. No damage to me or the bike.

Moto 1 - I'm out of my element. The only other gates I've ever taken were at DW events. The line was mostly A riders with a couple of Bs thrown in for good measure. Honestly I had no business lining up with these guys.
Off we went. I did my best, but still managed to wash out in one corner-faceplant. At least the bike didn't stall on me.
The highlight of the race for me came on the 4th lap; I could hear the A riders coming up to lap me for the second time. All I could do was pray that they would pass me before I made it to the finish line to save me from having to go around again. They did, and I didn't :).

moto 2- I'm tired, I'm hot, but I signed up for the race, so I'm going to ride it. By now I've gotten a few atta boy's from the guys at the line. They know I've got no business being there, but they think it's cool that I'm out there trying.
Off we go. I was determined to really attack the course this time since now I know which obstacle is where. I hit the first table and land right about where everyone but the A riders are landing. An off camber right is next. There's a nice berm built up so it's a non issue. Next is the sloppy corner that I fell in during practice. No problem. I'm on fire Baby!!
Now the back stretch a double to a table. Over the double I go. I committed myself to making it. Oh Sh**! I went very nose high over the jump and didn't think I was going to make the lip of the landing, or stay on the bike for that matter. I did make the lip though, and managed to stay with the bike. Whew! Lots of braking bumps into the next left 180 and into a whoopsish section. No troubles there. Now a 90 degree right hand turn over a slight rise and accelerate for the step up. The A riders hit this and go beyond the step up landing and hit the down slope another 40 ft further away. I was happy to clear the step cleanly. another 180 and another large table. I didn't clear it, but I did ok. a tight 180 after that and there was a big double double. Not a snowballs chance in hell I'm doing the first one, so I went single single double. Yeah, I know it's all in my brain. but that's where my brain was at that point.
Another 180 to a sweeping left. Drop down and accelerate for another step up. No troubles there.
Ahh the finish line jump. Hit it and clear it. now downhill to the triple. I double single that. One more table and a 10 ft mound to climb over while making a left 180 and we are back on the start straight.
I only got lapped once this race and managed 5 laps. curiously I wasn't as fatigued as I was after the first race.

All in all it was a great time. I can barely walk today, but it was still fun :)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Cool Keith. :cool: What you went through explains perfectly why I just ride in the woods now!! :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I had to. Bark busters, kick stand, lights, rear fender pack and the trail tech computer. All of it was removed for the race. I even thought about washing it before the race. I never did, but the thought crossed my mind briefly ;)
Plus, being the cheap swamp yankee that I am, I cobbled up my own numbers for the event. Since I didn't want this to be permanent, I covered the plates in packing tape. Next I used electrical tape to make the numbers. Since I needed white numbers on a black background, I then masked off the plate area and sprayed krylon plastic paint over the tape. Once sufficiently dry, I removed the electrical tape and viola, White numbers on a black background!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
LOL! Theyt didn't require you to remove the bark busters, did they? I was actually kidding, as I prefer to run BBs for everything, including MX.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
yep they had to go. not allowed at all. You can have the plastic "non closed" roost deflectors, but not full on Bark busters

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I used to race MX with a KTM620EX/C with lights, horn, and bark busters.

None of the local races around here enforce the bachground/number colors, either.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Wait just a minute, I seen you race MX for donuts or some such thing. If I remember right you won! Sandbagger. :)

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
WOW! Sounds like you had a helluva day! Did you race with all the mud from Pittsfield still on your bike?! That was 20 extra pounds right there!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
My new hero. :nod: :cool:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Sam, do you really think I'd wash my bike for a race? ;)

It was fun, but I don't think I'll be racing MX again any time in the near future.

I will be riding in an Observed Trials event on August 22 or 23rd though.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Papakeith said:
Bump, just for twinkie :laugh:

This guy??
Manchester+Pride+Parade+-+001.jpg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom