*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Sunday I rode my 200 for the first time after buying it more than a month ago. Before this I was injured, had sold my DRZ400, and had not ridden in more than 3 months. I bought the ktm without even riding it, and although I knew it was in good shape, I wasn't sure that it was the right bike.

Well it is! I couldn't be happier!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It rained modestly all day Saturday and cleared up totally on Sunday morning. Any of you guys that live out here in the southwest know that this is the best time to ride out here - no dust and great traction! So the conditions were perfect to try out my new bike.

Coming off the four stroke DRZ, I thought the worst. I figured it (the 200) had no bottom end and I'd be stalling it left and right. Not so! I did stall a couple times but only because it was the "oh S*#@! slam on the brakes" technique. It really does make good bottom, and feels like there is even more to be had if I fiddle with the jetting. The guy who sold it to me had installed a flywheel weight, but I took it off and don't see using it. And then it pulls into that hit - I love it! I couldn't keep the front end on the ground in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I was doing wheelies for the sake of wheelies. And my back tire is 1/3 gone! It was only a matter of being on the pipe, blipping the throttle, and leaning the right way. Easy. On my Suzuki Thunderpig, it took much more planning and a good yank on the handle bars only to have the earth shake when the front end comes back down. Did I mention I love the light weight of the 200?

Lessee, what else... oh the suspension seemed great to me, I mean REALLY good, but I'm only comparing it to the DRZ, if I was spoiled with that fancy damping some of you got I might think different - hopefully my ignorance will keep my wallet thick.

Oh, and I was worried about hill climbing with the 2 stroke powerband, but for not. I motored up some hills that I would have worried about on the DRZ, and that thing was a tractor.

I throughly wore myself out in a few hours, it's not the bike's fault, I hadn't ridden in several months. Again I love the lightweight handling and the torquey motor that revs too!

I think this is the ideal bike for most of my riding. Only in the wide open desert or dunes do I think I might want more cc's. But then again I never found enough room to get into 6th gear...

wp

------------------
William
KTM200EXC

DRZorro

Feb 9, 2001
Thats what I was hoping I would hear about the 200exc. I'm also trying to sell my DRZ to get this very bike also for the same reasons. The DRZ400s is a great bike but is out of its element for serious riding. It was ment to be a play bike and a true dual sport which it is. One question though how is the lighting, is it bright enough and does it fade out when your off the gas?

------------------

TKH-KTM

Apr 8, 2001
I must agree... I went from a Xr250 to the 200exc last month. I had been riding with a bunch of cr250's in the woods and thought about getting a KDX220R to show them what a woods bike was and then I tried out my 2001 KTM 200exc... Even with the fact that I haven't got the jetting prefect yet, I love this bike... Once I get use to it I think I will try some upgrades any ideas?

------------------
KTM 200 EXC

GaryKTM200

Dec 5, 2000
William, I am glad you like your new bike! I have a 00 200 mx/c and love it. I came off of a KDX220 and I much more prefer the KTM. As for up grades I put a Rad Valve on mine. It's plenty peppy. A KTM really doesn't need many up grades. I'd put my money into a pipe guard and things like that. The money you save by not having to buy a bunch of up grades may be well spent taking the wife out to eat. But then again a new helment is always nice too. On second thought. Better take the wife out to eat. The helment will come a lot easier that way.
wink.gif

Gary

------------------
It's not how fast you can go but how much fun you have!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I agree will all of you on the 200, and I ride a 300. That bike is a kick. I could be right at home on one.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

GaryKTM200

Dec 5, 2000
By the way Will and TKH. If these are your first KTM's like mine is to me pay attention to the compression knob on your shock. It adjust opposite than everything else I think. Turn it clock wise you soften the shock. Counter clock stiffens it. I assume you guys have WP suspension on your bikes.
I didn't know that when I got mine. When I would play on the moto-x track I would turn it in thinking I was stiffening it. In the woods I would turn it out thinking I was softening it. I was wrong. Correct adjustment make a diffence you know.
smile.gif

Gary

------------------

TKH-KTM

Apr 8, 2001
GaryKTM200,
Thanks for the tip, I haven't really started playing with the shocks yet, It rides so much better then my XR250 that I haven't even really thought about needing to...

------------------
KTM 200 EXC

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
DRZorro,

Actually, I wanted an MXC, so the lights were the first things to come off. Just something else for me to break, so I didn't even try them out.

------------------
William
KTM200EXC

TKH-KTM

Apr 8, 2001
Why did you buy a EXC if you wanted a MXC? Here in Oregon the MXC is much easier to come by... Everyone wants the EXC! Also how was the jetting stock?

------------------
2001 KTM 200EXC,
XR250L and XT350

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
TKH-KTM,

I bought my EXC used. It was cheap and in great condition, so I couldn't pass it up. Plus the only used year 2000, 200MXC I could find was a day's drive away in AZ - what if I got there and it was a POS? Anyway, I'm happy.

As for the jetting, I'm not sure what's in there. The guy told me the dealer rejetted it before he took delivery. It works well, so he didn't mess with it. But when I get a chance I'll see what they installed. I'll probably fiddle with it when the weather gets hotter.

------------------
William
KTM200EXC

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by DRZorro:
Thats what I was hoping I would hear about the 200exc. I'm also trying to sell my DRZ to get this very bike also for the same reasons. The DRZ400s is a great bike but is out of its element for serious riding. It was ment to be a play bike and a true dual sport which it is.

Funny you should say this, Zorro. I just sold my WR400 and am thinking about replacing it with an XR650R of all things! Keep in mind I also have a 300EXC with plates and a KLR650. My WR was street legal and plated. I set it up to be an agressive dual sport bike.

Why sell the 400 you ask? Probably the main reason was comfort. The seat is a one-cheeker, so if you were not standing then you had to sit side saddle on a thin padded board. Not alot of fun for cruising around or taking it easy on a DS ride. Secondly, its 285 pound weight was a real lug compared to the 300. All one has to do is (try to) hoist it up on a workstand to feel the difference.

So, for now the 300 can do agressive DS duty (like the one coming up this summer in Arkansas' Magazine Mountain) and the KLR can do the gravel road and occasional trail stuff. Not to mention pound the pavement at 80 all day with a little taller gearing, throttle lock, and taller shield.

Why the 650R then? Well, if you are gonna have to put up with a heavier bike (in support of your sell the DRZ and get a 200 idea) then at least make it comfortable and ultra-reliable. The 650 has about 15 more pounds to lug around than the WR, but once over 250 it seems to make little difference as long as you have a competent chassis like the DRZ or the 650R has. From all accounts I've read the 650R works OK in the tight stuff. Not an ultimate bike like the 200 you are wanting, but OK and a HECK of alot better than the KLR or 650L.

All I can tell you for sure is, the NEXT bike you get will be the perfect one. Never the one you have, even when you're like me and have 3 of them.

One last comment on the 200. Arlis from this site rode the Great Piney Woods enduro this past weekend on his 2001 200EXC. He rode a KDX200 from 93 to 97, then went to the 300EXC in 98 and rode it thru 2000. He rode the West Texas events on the 200 and missed his 300 on every ride. After riding the GPW, a tighter enduro where he took like 59 points, he did not come away raving about the 200. In fact his score came in about the same has it has the 2 years he rode on the the 300. His comments have gone from the "missed the 300" on the West Texas Enduros to "it was fine" on the tight one.

Not exactly the raving reviews some owners give the bike. Great bike? Best I can tell, yes. Hard to buy a BAD KTM I say these days. Miracle bike? NAW.

------------------
TexKDX

thetemples

Apr 11, 2001
William,

I also saw your post on the holeshot board... Commenting on the others... I would suggest getting new tires and take off the stock poo poo tires.. I put on S12s front and back, a skid plate, rejetted, pipe guard and acerbis rally pro hand guards...

And just have fun!

------------------
2001 KTM 200 EXC

email me : thetemples@yahoo.com

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Just wondering if any of you KTM200 guy's have ridden the YZ250F, I would like to here some comparisons on how both bikes stack up against each other, which bike is funner to ride and race, and less tiring ?

------------------
01 YZ250F
92 KX250, adios amigo!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Sounds like I’m going to love mine when I get it. Though many have tried to dissuade me, the MXC 200 is my top choice for my new bike. I am dealing with a shop right now to find out how much I’m going to pay. I have been looking at bolt-ons for it already! Acerbis has pretty silver plastic and those cool new Rally 2 guards which come in silver and black, and CEET has cool graphics, and I can already tell I’m going to spend WAY too much $ on it. Oh well. That’s why I don’t have kids or a new car!

Questions for 200 riders, especially northwest people:
-How is the stock jetting? It’s almost always rich, but how much?
-What kind of fluids have the best results? Coolant, air filter oil, tranny fluid, 2-stroke oil, etc. ?
-Any suggestions for someone coming off an XR200? I KNOW it’s going to be an interesting learning experience—I’m used to drum brakes and wimpy four-stroke power. (expect lots of endos and looping it stories)
-Any particular "must have" boltons? Pipe guard, radiator guards, shark fins, etc?

OOOOHHHH, I can’t wait! I want to pick it up NOW!

BTW, I decided against the Yamaha 250 Fs because although the YZ is a great, wonderful bike, it would take suspension and gear mods to make it a woods bike, and the WR is a little heavy (for me) and they are both hard to start. I am SO TIRED of kicking stupid flooded four-strokes. You cannot even imagine. Granted, the Yammies would be better than my little XR was, but they’re still a PITA to kick. I’m lazy. And since I fall down a lot, weight and ease of starting are key deciding points in my bike-shopping.

------------------
Had we but worlds enough, and time . . .

http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/flyin_firecracker22

E-mail me at flyin_firecracker22@yahoo.com

GaryKTM200

Dec 5, 2000
Hi Firecraker,
I have a 00 200 mx/c and I love mine. Think of it as a 125 on steroids. It has the light weight of a 125. Very good low end with a strong hit. And power that will rival a lot of 250's.
As for add ons you may want to look at the Enduro Engineering hand guards. They are cheaper than the Accerbis and most KTM riders use them. I put a skid plate, E-Line carbin fiber pipe guard, EE rotor guard, EE easy pull clutch lever and Mich. S-12 on the rear and a M-12 on the front. Currently I am running a IRC on the rear. So far so good with the tire and it is about 10.00 cheaper than the Mich. I put a W.E.R. damper on. And a EE clutch guard. And a Rad Valve. Dang I have a lot of stuff on this bike. Scared me when I started listing them.
smile.gif
Those are some things to think about I guess.
As for going to a KTM 200 from an XR 200, hang on for the ride of your life. I would seriously suggest finding a place that you are very comfortable with and just get used to the KTM. There is that much difference. I promise you will love it. I'm not knocking the XR 200 but you are going from a go cart to a Formula 1 car. There is that much difference between the two. Take your time and get used to the KTM. Let us know when you get it and tell us what you think about it.
As for fluids I am using Motul pre mix. I would suggest getting and extra air filter just to make things easier. You really want to keep your air filter clean. I tryed that spray filter oil but I didn't feel like I was getting enough in. So I went to filter oil that you get in a bottle. I think it is Maxima brand.

Good luck and enjoy,
Gary

------------------

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Firecracker,thats quite interesting that you have chosen a 2-stroke over a four stroke since your last bike is a XR200, starting is one of the main complaints I have with my 250F, suspension is the other, it is set up stock (great if your name is Earnie,bad if you ride in the desert) is baby is way to stiff!! I have been kicking a ktmoor 200 idea around in my head for a few weeks now, just cant decide
frown.gif

------------------
01 YZ250F
92 KX250, adios amigo!

Top Bottom