First Rebuild on a plated Cylinder

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I have done a search on the forum and that answered alot of my questions. I know my 02 KX250 cylinder can be honed/deglazed. But heres the question. What am I to expect when I tear the top end down since this will be its first rebuild (I bought the bike new in early 03, it was a carry-over) I am not really experiencing any power loss or hard starting compression test is within spec, just doing some routine/preventative maintence. Will there be a "ridge" will I be able to just re-ring(and piston) on the old plating if the the cylinder is NOT out of round? Or do I need the cylinder re-plated, I do not want to over-bore. I have rebuilt many of Steel lined air and water cooled 2 strokes over the years but never have had a plated cylinder apart. I am going to tear it down soon to inspect, I just want to know what to look for on the plating. And if it needs re-plated is it more cost effective to replate or just buy a new OEM plated cylinder since I do not want an over-bore?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Unless the cylinder got damaged you should be good to go with a quick deglazing. Kawi had a plating problem with some models but I'm pretty sure that was fixed by 02. If it needs to be replated it's more cost effective to get it fixed.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Thanks guys! I clean my air filter after every ride plus I use filter skins and have a proseal installed I use a fuel filter on my gas can and inline. so I am not expecting too much wear or excessive scratches from contaminants. BTW i read that thread.

Top Bottom