380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
One word.....Animal

This thing is ornry. Its the Hemi Cuda of dirt bikes. Faster than my 380 by a good margin. It turns awsome. The suspension is way better than my 99. My 50mm's were junk compared to the 48mm usd. If I were only going to ride it on the goat trails the suspension would be perfect. But for the desert/moto and my 280 lbs its a little soft. The two step ignition works o.k. On the low setting it seems to have more bottom end pull and does not rev out as far. With the setting on high its fast everywhere and really revs out. I have no problems with the left side kick. Starts 2nd kick everytime. I have put a E-line skid plate and a BIG GUN tail pipe on it (for the spark arrestor). I have to tell you I rode it with the stock silencer and it was very functional. (quiet) and it is not any heavier than the BIG GUN unit. So the stock silencer might be big and ugly but it works well.

It is a liitle rough around the edges but it seems to be very well made. As long as it holds together I will enjoy this bike for a couple years. And best of all its way way fast............

JAFChE

Oct 23, 2000

Where did you get to try the new beast out at? Desert or Mountains?

Stolle Meadows was a lot of fun last weekend. We did Telephone Pole Ridge, Tyndal Creek, Yellowjacket Creek, Rock Creek, Boulder Creek, Burntlog Creek, McClure Trail, and Buck Mountain. I definitely need a larger tank for the 400 EXC though and perhaps some jetting too. I hit reserve at 60 miles and that was after adding 1 liter that I pack in my backpack!

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I rode up by Idaho City on some of the ISDE stuff. It was a blast...They had a great course set up this year. A little dusty and hot but the new bike feel made me forget all that.....

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
And you still call yourself 380EXCman. I would have to say that borders on fase advertising :think I suppose you're going to start calling yourself FC550man? Seriously though, it sounds like a nice ride. Glad you're happy with it.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Second ride

Rode again today and the bike ran great. Im getting use to it and did not stall it once today. I love these bikes with out the pumper carb. It starts pretty easy, has perfect throttle response (no hiccup or flameouts), runs clean, doesnt back fire or pop and best of all you have to give it the old 2-stroke twist on the throttle to start it. Yep thats right you have to give it gas. Looks like I dont have to put a "dont twist the throttle" sign on it while it sits in the pits.

This bike is still fast. I rode with a buddy today that has a 380 and he is about 50lbs lighter, we ran up and down this wash about 10 times and up to about 3rd gear we were very close I perhaps with a little advantage but once I grabbed 4th and 5th I was gone. I have yet to see if 6th gear is even there. The more I ride it the more I like it.

The suspension is starting to break in and it wont be long until its gonna need Jeremy's magic. The rear end chatterrs a little under braking and it stink bugs a little.

Gonna ride out in the Dez monday or tuesday should get a chance to test 6th out there.

EuroMike

Jan 2, 2000
:cool: Hey 380excman,

I heard, but now I see it's so! Welcome to the other blue camp.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the 'berg. I understand I'll get to see or maybe even try it in a couple of weeks, Is this true?
The son-in-law says that maybe we need to look at your jetting since he feels my FE400E has more bottom-end than the 550, I can't believe that's true! But if it is I know those carbs pretty well now and I'll be glad to help were I can. As far as 6th gear goes, You won't be using it here! I seldom hit 5th and that's not were we'll be riding. :p

Well just wanted to say hi and congrats on the purchase of an awsome ride!

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Yep its true...

Whasssupppiiii.........

I will be seeing you in a couple weeks.

Bluethumper is nuts. This thing has tons of bottom end power. It did have a burble right off the bottom but that was riding at over 5000' in 90 Deg. weather. I have ridden it a few more times down here at the MX park and out in the Dez and it does not miss a beat. Carburation is perfect. I would consider changing it if I was riding up in the pucker brush all the time. But since 90 % of the riding I do is down here Im happy.

I did get it into 6th the other day and I dont see my self using it much...Too fast....

Have you asked Bluethumper about his "Grey wire modification"? See ya soon....

Top Bottom