First Ride: 2001 250MXC.

B

biglou

This seems like the most appropriate forum for this.:)

In a word: Amazing! This is my first ever two-stroke and I have only been riding since March 2000. I thought it would take me quite a while to get the hang of this after coming off the DRZ. I've gotta say, all things being relative, that after about two laps at the Merwin, MO MX track, I haven't lost a thing!

First of all, a bike that is about 75 pounds lighter is like riding a hot air balloon. This thing will leave the ground at will, even with my considerable mass on it. The low-end grunt out of this thing absolutlely amazes me for a two-stroke. Great tractability.

Suspension: Light years ahead of my re-sprung and Gold-Valved DRZ. Very supple to soak up the small stuff and also quite progressive for taking the bigger hits (like, say, landing!). I know I'm still a novice but I have to say that I almost can't imagine suspension being much better than this. This thing is like butter!

Keep in mind that I'm a 35 year-old novice, and I'm not looking to win any championships, but I do ride as aggressively as my skill level will let me. I just love the feel of this bike. The vibrations are minimal, the Pro-Tapers really seam to help in isolating your hands from vibration. The bike turns like it's on rails, too. Probably related to the weight, or lack thereof.

There were a couple of times that I just had to let out one of those "Woohoo!" screams yesterday! It's just that much fun for me. All I can say is that I am a very happy camper!:cool: Plus, I got to meet another DRN member. Our little KC riding group has just grown by leaps and bounds this year, compared to the four regulars we had last year. Never a lack of riding buddies here.
Cheers, everyone!:)

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
I think you are holding out on us -

please . . tell us what you really think!;) SOunds like you are getting the most out of that bike, seriously. How is the rear shock compared to a linkage system? I have read they are better each year. I am another 35+ novice so I know all about those spontaneous " woo hoos". If we could just get a little KC dirt out here in AZ!:)

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Lou, that is one heck of a bike, no complaints here. That engine is smooth as well as the suspension. I wish the Japs would follow with the linkless rear, all of the KTM's I've ridden since 98' have been great. The looks, along with the ergonomics of the MXC are all top notch, you just get on and it feels right. Now that the nagging break in is complete, time to crack it WFO and see what it really has in store for ya. Jason

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Big Lou, Welcome to Pumpkin Patch. Once you enter..you'll never want to leave!!

I know what you mean about DRN increasing the size of your riding group. THANKS OKIE!!!
Last year, my group was one or two guys. This year after a couple of posts the group is at 10 members on any given weekend. This group includes
Der Hntr who I need to convince to move from a DRZ to a KTM.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
What Lou forgot to tell you all is that our local KC riding group is starting to turn envy with ORANGE. Man, I am seeing more orange bikes this year compared to last year. I should of never of let Lou ride my 00 KTM250exc as he feel in love with it.

Now we just got to work on Blue Thunder to trade his 01 YZ426 in for a KTM250 or KTM400mxc.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Big Lou do ya really like the bike? Just like a big kid at xmas morning. Congrats and hey have fun.

B

biglou

Absolutely!

It took only a short time for me to get comfortable with it. And yes, the suspension is all that and a bag of chips!;) It did a great job on the "Big" landings for me. Very compliant ride. I had butterflies waiting to ride yesterday! I am, indeed, a big kid!:) Christmas in July!

I forgot to mention that the track was like flypaper yesterday. Perfect. Very tacky. That was the best I'd seen that track in a year. They had rain all morning and the heat dried it out just enough. It was like riding a rail!

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Damn you Big Lou & Blue Thunder!

That little test ride session is going to cost me $6000 or more by the time I'm done!!!

The YZF was the first ride. Very fun, more hit than the 'berg and it felt 50 lbs. lighter. I know it's not, but it sure carries it low. The suspension was the biggest thing I noticed compared to mine...the forks just soaked it up. I could see myself on one of these! Followed Bluethunder around a snot-slick loop on the woods course and the YZF just ate it up, perhaps some of it was rider ability....perhaps. ;) The starting drill seemed fairly straight forward too, just the kickstarter is on the wrong side.

The 250mxc was next. I haven't ridden a two stroke in over 10 years, peroid. First i was shocked that Lou let me ride it at all! I took off and just rode it around the parking lot roads, missing shifts, hangining on, getting a feel for it. I came back, Lou said "take it out on the track". Man, this thing does feel completely different than any two stroke I can remeber. Hell, you can ride the whole track in 3rd gear and never did load up or feel out of power. Lou is right about the suspension. I'm 205 and it didn't bottom once where my 'berg was. I'd have to spend a good trail day on a two stroke before I could decide on going that route, I still like the power delivery of the fours, but the 250 had it everywhere! If that 400 RFS feels anything like that 250 on the track, that could be my future bike.

Thanks again for everyone's hospitality! Hope Todd's elbows heal quickly, damn that looked like it hurt.

Let me tell you, these guys in KC know how to set up a good riding day!! The hookers & Van Halen cover band were a nice touch!:eek:

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by BigLou
Suspension: I know I'm still a novice but I have to say that I almost can't imagine suspension being much better than this.

Oh but it does my fury friend.:D See my post on my new suspenders.

B

biglou

I know, Yarbo...

...I saw it. I just don't want to have to take out a second mortgage or sell a kidney just yet! I have been on a spending bonanza lately. Computer for home, new bike, helmet cam, etc...

Scott-That's exactly what I told Rick two Fridays ago: "That little test ride is gonna cost me 6 large." :eek:

Eyedoc

Nov 2, 1999
I am just getting back from some track and trail riding in northern Michigan on my new 2000 250 EXC. Amazing bike. Didn't think I could use the stock 3rd gear on the trails, but before long I was ringing out third gear without the usual near death experiences. This bike loves to ride!

Can't wait to get out again.

P.S. Thanks for all the good info. I was thinking of going with the 200 EXC for size and control. At 6ft,190 and 42 yo the only problem with the 250 seems to be staying reasonable.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
I wil just have to live in the "pumpkin patch" through you guys. The 426 and I have formed a special bond, it doesn't hurt me and I won't hurt it, so far so good. I really enjoyed the KTM's, the 4stroke line up is very tempting with that button and all, as most can attest, no starting issues for me! Had a great time riding all of the bikes, if you could hear someone smiling...Lou would have hurt the eardrums. LOL

Top Bottom