longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Got the EC300 out for the first time today. After taking several loving pics (I figure it'll never look that good again), and taking off the rear blinkers (yep, it's a Euro spec. -- not just headlight and taillight, but blinkers, even a dang key!), she was ready to be broken in. So off to the Vet track at Elsinore.

Had an absolute blast. I'm no expert (understatement of the year) but the only part I was worried about -- the forks -- worked great. The motor was awesome. And the weight -- geesh. Between the motor, the quick steering, and the weight loss, the fun meter was PEGGED! (The xr400 is indeed going up for sale). I think this was a perfect bike for a guy like me making the transition from a 4 to a 2 stroke. Like they say -- the power curve is so linear, and chugs so well, that it's sort of like a 3 stroke. All I know is it was all good -- I loved the increased ZIP, or POP, of the power, but never felt like it was trying to leave me behind. And if it felt this great on the track, I can't WAIT to get it out on the trails -- its intended home.

All in all it was very awesome day. Fun to ride with Bill and Dad again, and to meet J Dem Bones. Only down side was when my XR put down my neighbor who had borrowed it. (He's fine, guys. That golf ball on his elbow was gone by the time we got home thanks to some ice).

Ear to ear grin -- for SURE. :cool:

p.s. Brings to mind my signature line!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sounds sweet! Bring it up here in October to Elkins Flat so we can try to arrange a Gas Gas 300 vs. KTM300 vs. TM300 vs. CRE250 vs. Gas Gas 200 shoot out! :)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I have been looking for a way to desrcribe the power. You nailed it when you said 3 stroke. :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
That's one trick machine you got there LT. Congrats, can't wait to do a ride.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Longtime,

Yes the fun factor is high on a GasGas!! Congrads on the new bike!!! Looking forward to meeting you in Oct and checking out your bike!!!

Dave....who is bringing a TM300E????

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Rick,
A friend of mine, Peter, has one. He rode with me last time I was at EF. I'll make sure he knows about the ride in October. The TM does not lack for motor. :cool:

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
I just picked up a 2001 XC-200 and a freind got a EC 300. Rode it for the first time last Sunday. The handling of these bike is phenomenal. The power almost seemed electric. I had no problems with any hills, the 200 made it up all of them . For the first time in a while I'm actually looking forward to riding again this Sunday. I feel this is one of the most imperessive bike I've owned (I've owned a lot) right out of the crate.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
GasGas honeymoon

You should have taken it to Starwest yesterday - the jumps aren't that bad (*cough*). I almost left SW without doing any of the jumps (if that would have happened, then I would have kicked myself for missing the maiden voyage at Elsinore). After about three hours of hedging, I finally nailed most of them, so I'm back where I was four months ago.

Sounds like you and the Old XR had unreconcilable differences. Hope the GasGas honeymoon is a long and happy one.:D

Last edited:

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
Grinning and Drooling

That's all we saw from LT Wednesday. He rode way in the back of the pack just to keep the roost away from the new bike! :p (which I appreciated, by the way, since it kept me from the last position!)

Ol89'r, you may have a tougher time getting him on the trails now since he knows you'll make him scratch it. He may not have even whimpered when he broke his ankle, but looks like he'll cry a river when he gets that first ding!

LT, you have to sell that hexed XR. It's a death machine. Maybe it needs an XRcism? :scream: Has it ever been out where it didn't hurt somebody?

That new ride is sweet, enjoy. We'll see you next Wednesday, right?

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
LT- We need you at the next Phelan ride to combat the forces of darkness. Bundy has used his wiley ways to sway one of our own toward the dark side. Perhaps if he was to witness your sweet new ride in action we can win him back!
BTW, Eel is putting together a Gorman run on the 29TH. Husky vs. KTM vs. GasGas? How about it?

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
I will be doing my best to make as many Gorman/Phelan/BigBear/Corona rides as I can in this upcoming Fall season. Anything in store next weekend?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
Sounds sweet! Bring it up here in October to Elkins Flat so we can try to arrange a Gas Gas 300 vs. KTM300 vs. TM300 vs. CRE250 vs. Gas Gas 200 shoot out! :)

When is this outing, and who's KTM? It must be a worthy KTM300! If the date works, I'll bring my 300 & 400. I am racing every other weekend from 9/30 to 11/11. I hope I can fit it in;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Strick - MR WR is organizing a get together Oct. 20-21 at Elkins Flat - check the places to ride forum.

It seems there is never a shortage of '99 - '01 KTM300's around. I'm hoping that at least one of the non DRN'ers I ride with would be able to make it and bring theirs.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Stir the Pot

Originally posted by ktmboy LT- We need you at the next Phelan ride to combat the forces of darkness.[/B]

My friend, not to worry; yes, we will truly appreciate his presence in addition to my three samples of river-polluting, ozone-depleting, funny noise-making, erosion-originating, top-end-every-year, rattling, pipey two smokes. And there all yeller to boot!:D (To think we coulda got, not only heavy, but reeeeeeelllll top-heavy, expensive-rebuilding, lower power output (can I hear an "amen?"), ear-pierce-ing (now ain't that jsut cute), oil-change-every-other-ride, fat-gas-tanked, bucket-seat cruiser, MX wanna-be? AMEN!)

LT: :cool: congrads on the blue beauty. Why yes, a man must take his time - it's like sipping fine vintage mediterranean dry wine, eh?;) Let them have their cheap, bland beer!

Originally posted by (the former) MR WR
When are you So.Cal guys going to ride Big Bear?????.[/B]

Compadre, we already done did Big Bear, in July. Why don't 'cha come down to do our TWMC enduros soon?:)

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
GAS GAS

Does that describe you or the bike:p

Congrats man. Can't wait to rip by you on your new bike:cool:

To get a good look at it, I'll first pass you on the left, then the right, then I'll double over your head :p

Then I'll get a good look from below as you run over my crashed and mangeled body. :scream:

See you you out there soon.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by scar tissue
GAS GAS

Does that describe you or the bike:p

Scar. Thanks for bringing that up, I was thinking the same thing myself.:confused:

LongTime called yesterday and whined and sniveled so bad that he made me go out to Elsinore. We didn't get there in time to hook up with MXDad and the guys, but, we got plenty of laps in.

Got to ride LT's Gas Gas. What an impressive motorcycle. This thing has so much torque and mid range power it feels like a four stroke. Yet, it is light and flickable like a CR. If there is such a thing as a three stroke, this is it. The forks that everyone says are sub-standard, felt plush and very stable. Even cased a couple of small jumps to see what they would do and they did just fine.

Nice bike LT. Can't wait to see it on trail.

By the way LT, you should have stayed. It got pretty cool and Max and I rode until they parked the water truck across the track and said, "GO HOME!";)

Sorry we missed the rest of you guys.

MXDad

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 25, 2000
Hey, Ol89'r and LT - sorry we missed you too! You couldn't have missed us, we had a large flag on a flag pole and a couple other flags on cars and chairs in our pits. Felt great to be out excercising our freedom on the day of remembrance and showing a bit of our patriotism too. When we finished our last moto, we also stopped and gathered for a prayer to remember the families who have suffered such tremendous loss, give thanks for our many blessings, and to support our leaders, our military and our country as we take action against this evil that must be annihilated.
It was a good day.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Death Valley Daze

Yeah, well Ol89r forgot one detail, Dad. After you and your crew enjoyed the temperate morning hours on a delightful day at the track, Terry told me he'd me about 3. Uh- huh. Boy am I dumb. I had heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and finally passed out and turned into nothing but a smoking ember before Ol what's his name and his grandson showed up around 5. After dragging me into the shade and resuscitating me with a cold BudLight, I then helped him and his grandson get set up for their ride in the nice, temperate evening hours. So I'm glad both of you, and your respective crews, had nice times in the beautiful weather. But next time it's 102 degrees in Corona, I think I'll skip the 3-4:30 time frame.

It was fun watching Oldfart's grandson Max dice it up with one of the kids from his class who ended up being there. Those two looks like pigs-in-you-know-what as they did about 300 laps together.

As to the GasGas, I installed Les' jetting kit. Spot on. The bike runs so crisp now that it's even more of a joy to ride. I was loving life. Glad Terry agrees. I can't WAIT to get that thing on the trails now.

Top Bottom