ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
First ride in the woods. The juice clutch definitely feels different than the KDX220 I was riding. Doesn't feel quite as progressive. I will get used to it or maybe it needs to be bled. No problems starting it in gear, though.

Stalled it a lot. Not as much torque as the KDX but again, I am sure I will get used to it and I was going pretty slow (no bark busters or pipe guard yet) so I didn't have the momentum to get over certain obstacles that I usually would. I was easy on it but I could feel that it's going to have a lot more power than the KDX. I won't even think about getting a fly wheel weight until I have run through a few tanks. I think my riding style will adapt.

I love the suspension. I hit things that would have thrown me over the bars of the KDX. The XC suspension soaked it up beautifully.

I spent several hours going over bike this morning. The only thing that fell off was the high-beam bulb in the head light.

No regrets! Can't wait to take it out again!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I recently got a 2000 EC 250 (like New) only ridden it once I never stalled it, I love the smooth power the thing produces. I'm coming off of a modified RMX that really rips. The Gas Gas is much easier to ride, very luggable, SUPER quick turning.
I know the XC is diffeent than the EC. But overall the Gas Gas is the best bike I've ridden. Come on KTM people, don't slame me for saying that, I just get emotional when I start talking about my Gas Gas.:D

shawn sharp

May 14, 2001
new gg rider

I recently became a new GG owner. Your response was exactly what I experienced. You wont stall as much once you pick up the momentum. My bike likes to be riden with the throttle on. It is alot different than my ktm which I could just tractor along. I can't believe how the thing just hops right over logs and rocks--- big ones! I absolutley love that bike! Make sure you check your spokes for tightness.

My only complaint is that the kickstand marred up that pretty swing-arm due to compressing the suspension while riding.

Enjoy your ride!

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Your swing arm, how about your shin. When you are in street clothes if you just so much as touch the bike then the SPRING loaded kick stand slaps back and hits your shin leaving a big bump in its wake. My friend touched mine and it did it to her. Now she really gives me crap about Gas Gas since she rides a Montessa and a KTM. You have to love everything else. Oh except it needs a drivers side airbag so that when I crash in a race I won't break my Collar Bone. Out for 6 weeks - bummmer!:think

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
Yeah, that kick stand is a riot. I don't trust anyone around the bike for fear they will trigger the kick stand and topple the bike. I've had a couple close calls with it hitting my shin but I learned to keep clear real quick.

Josh Cook

Oct 6, 2000
GIRL RIDER...

Hello Nichole,
Sorry to hear about your crash... You should try to make a ride somewhere around here after you heal....
Smackovermotorsports would love for you to race our harescramble in september.....
Josh Cook gasgas@arkansas.net
:confused:

EK

Dec 3, 2000
Kickstand Mod

For all you fans of the annoying & unsafe auto-retract GasGas kickstand:

I added a large washer with a hole drilled in it under the kickstand mounting bolt. The kickstand spring was re-installed through the hole in the washer. This makes the kickstand stay in the down or up position - it is much more stable and doesn't ding up your shin.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
GG has the only safe kickstand!

I n my opion GG has the only safe kickstand for serious offroad use. I have been trying to get my KDX off the side of a steep hill many a time, and had to strugle with a kickstand in the down position stuck in the hill or on a root. The auto retatract feature is excellent (as long as you know it is there):D

regards,
WoodChuck

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
Second Ride

Shawn, you're right about the suspension. It flies over logs and rocks. This is also the first time I have used the Scotts damper. I have to disagree with what I have heard about not realizing how much it helps you until you ride without it. I could tell right away that it was helping.

With the suspension and the steering damper, I feel a ton more confident in gnarly terrain. Now I need to work on the jetting.

Top Bottom