First ride impressions, FRP suspension work

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
Took out my 2000 KDX 200 yesterday for the first time since installing my Jeff Fredette reworked suspension. Jeff installed Racetech gold series valves, .40 springs and relaved the rear shock (stock spring). I weigh about 200lb in full riding gear and usually ride tight to medium woods(Western Washington).

Yesterday I rode about half single track and half quad width trails. All I can say is the the suspension changes are nothing short of amazing compared to stock. Way less arm fatigue due to the firmly sprung front end and didn't constantly get kicked in the a** now that the front and rear spring rates are matched much better. The revalve work seemed to really shine in the whoops where before I could never get into a good rythme. It feels like a completely different bike, more like my buddy's EXC 200. I can really cook it into the corners now without worrying about the front end washing out so bad and it really seems to hook up better during corner exit.

Overall I had a great experience dealing with Jeff, short turn around time, good quality of work. Obviously he is the formost expert KDX work as he was able to get my suspension very close to what I needed the first time around.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sounds like you like it :) Do you mind if I ask how much?

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
I think it ended up being a little over $500, don't have the receipt in front of me. That included front and rear standard service, oil, seals and stuff. Front springs, Gold series valves and rear revalve. Also I had a dent on the inside of one of the front forks near the bottom(probably why suspension was so bad before), it had to be honed out in order to install the new valves, this added like $75 to the cost. I think it was well worth the money for a full service plus revalve. I considered doing a KX fork conversion, but I figured I would need to get the KX stuff revalved anyways to make it work for my riding and weight, so that is why I chose the revalved stock setup. I couldn't be happier!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't overlook clicker tuning. As much as the suspension work in the first place was a huge improvement it may well be an even better experience with a click or two in either direction.

Just because they were set as a best guess by Mr. Fredette (or any tuner) doesn't preclude them being set to fit your individual needs.

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
canyncarvr said:
Don't overlook clicker tuning. As much as the suspension work in the first place was a huge improvement it may well be an even better experience with a click or two in either direction.

Just because they were set as a best guess by Mr. Fredette (or any tuner) doesn't preclude them being set to fit your individual needs.

I totally agree with you. I am just so blown away right now that I wouldn't know which way to click'em! I brought a screwdriver out with me, but I really couldn't decide what to adjust. I am sure after a couple of rides I will become more accustomed to the suspension and get a clue which way the clickers need to go.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Nothing wrong with turning them a couple clicks, going for a ride to see what happens.

There have been times I've found 'answers' that way that I wasn't even looking for.

Have fun!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've got the KX fork conversiona and you are right. For woods riding a revalve was needed. I went with the Race Tech set up for both front and rear. Since we have the same rear shock and upgrade, I found that the rear shock needed one more click out on the compression from where Race Tech said to start. With the new innards, a single click can make a big felt difference. It really improved what I thought was perfection. I also set sag at 95 mm instead of the usual 100 most folks use. Let us know what settings you finally end up with. Maybe pass on your riding weight as well. Enjoy the plush!

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
I also set sag to 95mm(3 3/4") as per Jeff's recommendation. Riding weight is about 200lb in full gear maybe a touch more. I have the clicker settings at home, I will post later. Next ride I am definetly going to tinker a bit to see what the effects are.

Top Bottom