RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
I am still on a high from the first ride on my new CRF230F! What a fabulous bike! I thought I’d share the details:

I just “upgraded” from my beloved TTR125L to the CRF230F. The new bike arrived last Friday, and I spent a week sitting on it in the garage, and ooohing and ahhhing about how “beautiful” it was. Yesterday, I finally got some time to go riding at Carnegie. The CRF was a bit heavier than the TTR when loading and unloading it from the pickup, but nothing unmanageable (and the weight was never an issue once I was on the bike). The electric start sure was sweet, although I had to increase the idle a bit to keep it from stalling while it was warming up. Then off I went! The taller height of the bike, compared to the TTR, was so wonderful (I’m 5’7”), making for a much more comfortable riding position (my legs didn’t feel like folded chicken wings when sitting). Yet I can still touch both feet down when I stop, which was a big factor for me in choosing a new bike.

The power and stability of the CRF were just awesome, and the bike felt firmly planted as I zipped up the first hilly trail. My only complaint initially was that the bike felt “buzzy”—especially the front seat area (I thought, hmmmm, this is “interesting”) and the left hand grip. While making my first fairly steep descent down a hill, I realized that the idle was too high—I hadn’t readjusted it after the bike warmed up, hence the increased vibrations. Whew—problem solved. From then on, I had absolutely no complaints. The bike responded beautifully to everything I subjected it to. I haven’t quite mastered getting off the seat all the way while climbing up rocky hill trails, and the bike felt solid during my many “bucking bronco” imitations—woo hoo! And the increased power over the TTR made the rear tire grip more firmly when going up hills with loose, crumbly dirt (I didn’t have the fishtailing that sometimes had occurred with my TTR)—this was definitely a confidence builder, and I was able to pick up my speed considerably. The bike never let me down, even the few times when I found myself in big, seemingly endless, ruts full of gravel and loose soil, and thinking “this is not where I want to be.” The bike's power was smooth and pulled me through every time.

I felt so jazzed after the ride! What a fun bike—with plenty of room for me to grow and improve as a rider! I can’t wait for my next ride!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Great report, maybe we'll see you out at Carnegie sometime.. Ever ride @ Hollister??
Rick

mudmaiden

Jun 15, 2001
Hi, I was wondering how heavy the bike is dry? Is that the enduro one or the mx one? I have a xr400 which I love, but I woud love to get a bike w/an electric start. I dont want a bike thats to pipey, I like the strong even power band of my 400, but at times its just plain heavy, i would like something alittle lighter, thanks for anymore info!

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
Mudmaiden, according to the specs on the CRF230F, the bike weighs 238 pounds dry (about 20 pounds less than the XR400). To me, it doesn't "feel" heavy (I'm a little over 120 pounds), especially when riding it and manuevering around tight corners. The powerband is really smooth, allowing for really fun riding whether I'm going fast or doing slow tricky stuff. There isn't an MX version for the 230, just the 250. It is my understanding that the CRF250 is an entirely different animal--a lot taller, different suspension, different gearing, and built for MX track riding; there's supposed to be a 250X version for trail riding, coming out in December, but my learning curve is still pretty steep, and the 230 seemed like it would "fit" me better overall at this point. The electric start is really nice--another key factor for me in choosing the CRF230.

I'm going riding at Hollister this Friday and Saturday--my first time there, and I'm very excited! My husband said that there are really great trails, without all of the rocks that I have been accustomed to at Carnegie. Should be fun!!!

mudmaiden

Jun 15, 2001
Thanks for the info! I am about 5'10" and 155 lbs, sounds like I should wait and look into the 250. Seems like its a great bike from your description. Have a great time in hollister, you'll have a blast! Have you been to stonyford, thats a great place to ride and camp at too! Its great to see that there's so many more women riding!

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
Have you been to stonyford, thats a great place to ride and camp at too! Its great to see that there's so many more women riding!

I haven't been to Stonyford, but I've heard that it's a great place (logistics are somewhat difficult in making the long trip with a one-year-old and four-year-old, though not impossible). I hope to explore that area within the coming year. It IS great to have more women riding, although I rarely ever see another woman when I'm out riding. :(

mudmaiden

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, thats kinda funny that way, its pretty rare to see other women riders,
but i think the times are a changing! My boyfriend just bought his 7yr daughter a pw50. My moto is a riding family is a happy family! We are going to have to find someone who dosent ride to babysit when we do the adult rides. Stonyford does have nice camping if you and yours go, its so nice to be there for a few days. If you go w/other riding familys there a small track there for the kids ,so its fun for the little ones and the adults. have fun!

CharbCRF230

Jun 13, 2003
I got my CRF230 about 4 months ago and OMG I love it too!! It was instant. My Aunt rode it around her yard one day and went out and got one. She also went from a TTR125L to the CRF230, but she is 5'3 so she had it lowered. Everytime we came to a check point she wouldn't shut up about how much she loves it!! I am 5'5 140 and i don't find it to be too heavy at all. The only time i have had problems is when i dumped it on a steep hill and then had to get it up!! Took me a min but i got it. I LOVE THE ELECTRIC START!!! I love it when my DH is kickin and kickin and kickin is XR250 I just start it up and go!! HA HA

Good choice!!

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
CharbCRF230, thanks for your response! The electric start IS INDEED sweet, especially when I stop on the side of a hill--I don't have to worry about which way the bike is facing in order to get it started. I spent two days riding in Hollister this weekend, and the bike was just awesome in every respect. I dropped it for the first time (in sand, so it was a soft landing), and was able to get it back up with a bit of grunting and a big heave-ho (I'm a little over 120, and gripping from underneath and lifting by using my leg muscles worked great). And the electric start sure was nice when I had to start it again. The bike is just so incredible, with great power and handling! I've noticed in the recommendations that go back and forth within DRN forums that the CRF230 often gets dinged as being "heavy"--more people should ride this bike to discover how light it really feels! I'm glad that you and your aunt are enjoying yours!

CharbCRF230

Jun 13, 2003
Yeah its heavy, but not as bad as they think like you said. The only time i had a hard time was when it was tipped over an embankment!! LOL I could get it up straight, but when i would try to walk up the embankment i would slip on the loose dirt, and i couldn't lift it from the other side. So some guy came stormin up from like 5 bikes back to help me cause some jerk behind me just sat there and watched me fall like 5 times!!! I pushed it up to him and he held it so i could walk up!!

Personally when i am out there on the trails my adrenaline (sp) is pumpin the whole time and the bike feels light!!! But damn when i am pushing it up the ramp after a 30-50 mile ride it feels like it weighs 500 lbs!!!

It is just a smooth powerful bike. I would recomend it to anyone.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Have you done any jumping with it? I am on the fence on what bike to get next. I don't know if I want all the power that will come with a CRF250X but at the same time if I am going to get a 230 lb bike I might as well get my money's worth. I ride MX and am looking to do some small doubles and need more suspension than my TTR provides.

Susan

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
Have you done any jumping with it?

While I have done some small jumps out on the trails, I don't ride MX and haven't tackled any "major" jumps yet. So my personal knowledge of how the bike responds to jumping is very limited: The bike landed solid and smooth every time I've left the ground, and I have no complaints so far. In reading various reviews about the CRF230F, I have heard that the suspension is a bit soft for "heavier" riders (which wouldn't include me or you). However, BBR Motorsports sells heavy-duty fork springs and shock springs that might cure the problem if you find the suspension too soft for your jumping style.

By the way, how did you like the Debbie Matthews school? And how was your race the next day? Did you find that the things you learned in the school improved your race times? I'm still trying to perfect my cornering technique!

Kathy

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Originally posted by RockyRoads

By the way, how did you like the Debbie Matthews school? And how was your race the next day? Did you find that the things you learned in the school improved your race times? I'm still trying to perfect my cornering technique!

Kathy

WOW!! Thanks for remembering I took the class!

We had a great time. There were 11 in our class which includes me and my two boys. My 10 yo and I got a lot more out of it than my 8 yo did, but maybe he was a bit young for the class.

The next day during my first moto I had a lot of trouble. I was still trying to ride to my old ability but implement the techniques I learned in class. Once I figured out I could ride a gear higher ( :eek: ) than I did before the class I was OK. I was the only other woman that showed up to the race the day after the class so I wasn't under too much pressure and could concentrate on skills. The next week we had a class of six women. All 5 of them had beat me every other race during the season. And I hadn't raced on this track before. I came in third! I really had to push myself and I found it was so much easier when I kept my elbows up and my weight properly centered over the bike. My father-in-law commented that he hadn't seen me ride that good before.

So I would say it was worth it. :thumb: We have one more race for the season next weekend and I will be racing another woman on a YZ125. She and I have gone back and forth all season on wins. If she doesn't stall it off the start she usually wins, but not by much. I'm hoping we get a good start and I can see if I can keep up with her.

I'm still waffling on what bike to get next though. Turned 38 this year and I wonder if I really need to keep racing MX or if I should retire from racing. I keep saying things like that until the next time I ride...then I can't wait to get a new bike.

Thanks for the input.
Susan

Last edited:

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
Wow, Susan--congratulations on getting third place and making such great improvements! :yeehaw: Moving up to the next gear is very exciting!

It is amazing how those "simple" instructions make such a difference--since taking Debbie's class, I still find myself saying, "Elbows UP! Forward on the tank!" whenever I'm entering a tight corner; and it really helps!

Good luck with your final race next weekend--please let me (and all of us) know how you did!

Kathy

A

anita

crf 230

hi rockyroads i have at the present time a ttr 125 and have been eyeing up the crf 230 my hubby keeps talking me out of it because he thinks it would be 2 heavy for me and wouldnt be able to touch the floor when i hit them ruts iam 5ft 1 and 9st pretty fit for my age (34) what do you think?

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
Hi, Anita! I just bought a KTM400EXC a few weeks ago and am currently in the process of selling my CRF230. The 230 was a GREAT bike for me, and I learned a lot riding it (and had tons of fun), but I am ready to move up to a bigger bike with more power. I could easily flat-foot the 230, which I liked then, but I don't want now. Have you gone to a Honda dealer and sat on the bike to see how it feels? Depending on your inseam length, you may be able to touch the ground comfortably. I can tippy-toe touch on my new KTM, which presents some challenges, but I still love the new bike. Regarding the weight of the 230, I never had any problems picking it up; you just have to swing the back of the bike around sometimes to get a better angle, and it helps to know the best gripping points for lifting (and remember to lift from your legs, not your back). If you make up your mind to do something, you can do it. I would highly recommend the 230!
Kathy

minime

Feb 5, 2005
crf 230

hi rockyroads thanx for the reply i cant try a crf 230 at a honda shop because iam in the uk and they r imported and the honda dealer doesnt have them on show because he said there isnt enough demand for them
so the only way i could try 1 is if someone was selling 1 i find that my ttr is very snakey on the rear end and the suspention is very spongey but iam still learning i`d love 2 learn how to wheely got any tips :ugg: starting jumping and love it!

nwrdr

Feb 8, 2005
Rocky Roads,
have you already sold your crf230? i'm actually looking to buy one. i just started riding less than a year ago, bought a suzuki dr200, which I love, but want more of a dirt bike for off roads now.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
im planning on getting one next month. i gotta sell the quad before i can bring it home. :debil: . cuz here in Canadian, its like a 25% down payment before you can peel it away from the dealer. so if i sell the quad for 1500, then i can make the down payment plus the first couple of monthly payments.

Top Bottom