First ride on my new steed....!

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Well I finally got my new bike, 02 380SX. Let me say it feels good to be back on the orange equipment. I pretty much knew what to expect so I dont have much to report. I did ride the 380 and my Berg back to back a couple times.

With out a doubt the Berg is faster. Every where! The 380 has very little on the Berg in the power department. (I never thought I would say it but the Berg has to much. Thats part of the problem)

The 380 is way easier to ride. With the 4-stroke you have to be on the gas all the time (or your slowing down). I did blow a few corners with the 380. I let off the gas thinking the bike would slow down, but oh no it just kept going. The 380 is more nimble and less tiring.

The 380 is lighter, lower and has better ergonomics.

Front brakes better on the KTM, rear better on the Berg.

The Husaberg starts easier. Dont be afraid of left side kick bikes you get use to them real fast. I looked like a spode trying to kick my 380.

The M78/77 are junk. I have not decided if I want to swap tires with the berg (773's) or just run the M78/77's.

I know it may not sound like Im to excited about my 380 but its not my first. Im sure I will talk it up plenty over the next couple years. :) I really really like the 380. I feel at home on it. Something I never had with the Berg. I dont know what all the hoopla about these 4-strokes is but its gonna be nice not to have to change the oil all the time, adjust valves or have to worry about $1500.00 rebuilds.

I can't really comment on the suspension because the Berg is set up for my weight and riding style. I do know that the KTM will be as good if not a better whoop pounder.

Last edited:

bighaus

Apr 8, 2002
sounds good. any one sniffing on the berg? i know a guy with both .46 and .44 wp fork springs. his number is down at motosports or you can email me. thanks for the report. i have thought alot about getting another 380. i had a 98 and a 99. anyway keep the reports coming. mark

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
A buddy of mine is trying to drum up the finances to buy my Berg. I plan on swapping the springs over to the KTM. I am gonna ride it again this afternoon. I am also taking a Cannondale demo out with me so look for a report on it as well.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Glade you have that new beast....
Yep and it is awsome. You should be seeing my suspenders in a few weeks. If my buddy buys my bike then Im gonna have to start from scratch, He is a about my size and I told him that if he bought it he could have the suspension as it was for me. If he does not buy it then I can get the springs out of it. Im even thinking about swapping the GOLD fork tubes off my Berg.....
Is this different at all from your old 380 (besides BNG?)
My last 380 was an EXC and my new one is a SX. The new one is way more advanced in the suspension dept. than my 99 was. The brakes are better. The SX is way way more narrow. My 99 had a wide ratio tranny vs. the close ratio on my new one.

After riding an Animal in my Berg for a year it feels real good to be on a 380 again. Almost feels like cheating....

As for the Cannondale. I was gonna go to the Made in USA forum and post my reveiw but it would not go over very well in there.. I can say though that is has nice hubs and shifts good...... :think:

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Cannondale; I have friend who is a Kawi dealer who just took on the 'Dale line. I rode the '01 'sorta old sorta new' model ?? and promptly returned it. My orange scoot is too nice to try and figure how to make that bike work...

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
I know what you mean about getting off the four on to a two. I recently dumped my YZF for a 02' 300 EXC. Man what have I been thinking about the last few years. I am having loads more fun on the 300 and it doesn't wear me out like the YZF. Over cooking corners has been my biggest adjustment too!

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
So where can we read your Cannondale report?
The consumers must know the truth!
My Momma always said if you dont have anything good to say dont say anything at all. But like I said it shifted pretty good and had really pretty hubs......

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
380, where did you find the c-dale to ride? Good to see you like your new 380. Im kind of interested in your Husaberg, I shouldnt have rode it cause now im never going to be happy with my KX :( . PM me with the price if you want.

Top Bottom